2003 Cup Holder Issues

dawny0802

Hello All,

I have a 2003 RX 300 that I have had for two years. The cup holders have bothered me since day one, and the other day I made a right turn and spilled my Starbucks on me for the last time :censored: , so I assume. I have the cup holders that snap into the center console and the two on top of the center console. The arms which are moveable are too short and not strong enough to hold any of my coffee tumblers, let alone other cups. Does anyone have any advice or possible solutions for me?

Fort Worth RX Owner

I have the same problem on my wife's 2002 RX300. She spilled coffee all between the console and driver's seat, onto the carpet. She now keeps a cup warmer in the cup holder in the centre console as the base to add stability and insert the tumbler into the cup warmer.

• 5 months later...
I don't like those short holders either and have spilled drinks often, same in the rear console holders.

Good luck with your "fix" that is about the best I have heard.

[edit: I hate wasting my Starbucks! :)]

I had my husband build a wooden cupholder that fits in that little area to hold my cups. No more spills. It looks cheesy though, so if I have people ride in my car, I toss it in the back.

To this day I have yet to find a solution by Lexus or any independent car parts retailer.

The cupholders in the RX 330 were no better. It doesn't seem to matter what size or shape the container is, the contents will tip over and spill any time you turn a corner. I can't begin to tell you how many spills I had. Fortunately, most stayed in the cupholder compartment, but a good number went on the carpet.

The cupholder needs to have a system to hold the container in place more firmly.

I had my RX 330 for two years and the cupholder was my only real complaint. I guess that says good things about Lexus quality if the worst thing I can say about a vehicle with 30000 miles on it is that the cupholders suck...

At least they are better than in the early ES's... when the cupholders are out, you can't open the change/cigarette tray, plus when you have drinks in them, they block the stereo. Plus they are better than the 4Runners, where it blocks the climate controls and puts your drinks right in front of the vents.

I just put my drinks in a sippy cup and be done with it :P :chairshot:

At least they are better than in the early ES's... when the cupholders are out, you can't open the change/cigarette tray, plus when you have drinks in them, they block the stereo. Plus they are better than the 4Runners, where it blocks the climate controls and puts your drinks right in front of the vents.

I've heard that cupholders in cars are strictly a North American thing. Cars built for other markets don't even have them. Maybe the Asian engineers who designed these vehicles just didn't give cupholder placement and functionality much consideration.

I've heard that cupholders in cars are strictly a North American thing. Cars built for other markets don't even have them. Maybe the Asian engineers who designed these vehicles just didn't give cupholder placement and functionality much consideration.

Bingoooo Jetman....in Asia there is no concept of cup holders. People do not drive around sipping drinks since traffic is so crazy that you need both hands on the wheel....

For the price of a Lexus you would think who ever design the cup holder would have gave it a good thought before designing it...... but then again.... cup size are getting bigger and bigger by the day...Big Gulp used to be big but now everyone has their "supersize" drinks.... I think the car industry will have to come up with an adjustable cup holder.

Ok, heres my take on what must be the worst feature on our vehicles. Its pretty sad to get saddled with a Taurus for a rental when out of state and catch yourself wishing "man, I wisg my Lexus had drink holders like this".

Here are 3 suggestions:

1) Use the drink holder in the bottom part of the console...only catch is if you kept the drawer lubed, it tends to slide to and fro sometime tipping over the drink.

2) I bought an after market holder that grips the drink like a vise. I mounted the holder going across the bottom drawer of the console as you expand the base until tight.

3) Sippie cups are ok but can still leak when tipped over. Thermos makes a thin, stainless steel and black rubber container kinda like a sports bottle that has a push button opening top for 1 handed operation. When done the top clicks into the lock position and even has a bracket that clips over for extra peace of mind. It seems like it costs between $15 and $20 but when closed you can throw it anywhere and it wont leak. Plus, it keeps drinks colder, longer than ANY other product...like all day in the Las Vegas heat.

(also this thing would be a good improvised weapon =) )