Brake Installation Issue

ihateduke

I purchases new Akebono pads for my 99 RX300. Each pad comes with one shim. A lot of the directions mention reusing the original shims. Does this mean that I should have the Pad + New Shim + Old Shim + Old silver plate?

I actually put them all on like this and it seemed to work fine. Hopefully, this won't cause a problem. Any thoughts?

I purchases new Akebono pads for my 99 RX300. Each pad comes with one shim. A lot of the directions mention reusing the original shims. Does this mean that I should have the Pad + New Shim + Old Shim + Old silver plate?

I actually put them all on like this and it seemed to work fine. Hopefully, this won't cause a problem. Any thoughts?

I don't see the reason for installing multiple shims. I just installed some pads and only used the shim that the pads come with...which have adhesive to stick to the pads. I used the moly grease to cover the shim, pad brackets, caliper fingers and the caliper cylinder. This is the same procedure I used in the past with no brake issues. Don't forget to install the pad wear sensor.

Old silver plate??? Are you referring to the pad holders that the pads slide into? I always leave them on and just clean them up. They remove the slop in the system and help prevent the "clunk" that many cars have when braking in the opposite direction....Hondas are known for this problem.

Follow up question. I noticed that 2 of the boots/seals around the pistons were torn. Should they be replaced? Can I replace just the seal or do I have to get a new caliper?

The boots do not hold fluid pressure but do keep the caliper and piston clean. If they are not too bad you could try to put a thin coat of sealant on them to cover the tear and get by.....but I would definitely replace on the next brake change. Forget trying to replace the boot...usually it is hard to get parts...you are better off replacing the entire caliper with a rebuilt one from Rockauto.