Es 350 First Oil Change

The Sphinx

I just got the ES 350 about 2 months ago and i have a question. They recommend in the book that the oil be changed after the first 5000 miles, because it's full synthetic. But what about engine wear and tear after the first 1000 miles? Should i just change my oil when i reach 3000 miles and then get my oil changed at the dealer at the 5000 mark?

Sphinx

The oil that came in your engine from the factory is NOT synthetic. I would follow the recommendations set by the manufacturer and wait until the car has around 5000 miles, under normal driving conditions. ;)

hmmm, u think so? they also told me not to get into the habbit of warming up my car, cuz they said with the new lexus u don't have to anymore. did ur dealer rep tell u that also? cuz i wanna get the automatic starter installed for the winter.

Sphinx

hmmm, u think so? they also told me not to get into the habbit of warming up my car, cuz they said with the new lexus u don't have to anymore. did ur dealer rep tell u that also? cuz i wanna get the automatic starter installed for the winter.

Sphinx

You could get the remote starter installed if you wish. In this case, you leave your climate control turned on the night before, so when you get into your car the next morning the heater would have warmed up the cars interior.

It's true that if you start up a cold engine it's only necessary to run the engine for about 30 seconds before you start to drive the car, but you should not drive the car hard until the coolant temperature gauge reads the proper operating temperature......about half way up on the temp scale.

yeah i told him all that, but the rep still insisted that i don't have to heat it up. I told him, what about the metal of the pistons, when they expand to their normal size again and for the oil to heat up...he still didn't give me a good answer, he told me just to drive off when i turn it on, doesn't matter if u drive the car hard or not. anyways, im still getting the remote starter. I heard they're expensive though for the keyless entry system. any ideas or round figures for a good price, so i know when im shopping?

Sphinx

Sphinx

You don't have to heat up modern cars, in fact its much more efficient, and overall better for the car to just start it and drive off. Letting it idle just wastes gas and legnthens the time the engine is running while cold. Ask any mechanic.

Lexus transmissions automatically hold lower gears longer to increase friction to warm the car up more quickly. You'll be shocked by how quickly it warms up when you drive off vs letting it idle.

Sphinx

You don't have to heat up modern cars, in fact its much more efficient, and overall better for the car to just start it and drive off. Letting it idle just wastes gas and legnthens the time the engine is running while cold. Ask any mechanic.

Lexus transmissions automatically hold lower gears longer to increase friction to warm the car up more quickly. You'll be shocked by how quickly it warms up when you drive off vs letting it idle.

I usually wait about 30 seconds (enough time to get comfy, seat belt on & turn on the radio) & then drive off. Give the oil a chance to get to critical engine parts......but it's not necessary to warm the car up for several minutes before you drive off. ;)

:cheers: