Do The Old Speakers Have To Go?

Tej

Hello. I am new to this forum. I have a 1994 SC400 with the stock Pioneer system with 6 speakers and subwoofer. I recently had a local shop (Zippos in NJ) replace my head unit with a Kenwood-MP4032 system. They tried to wire it to the stock amp but I was getting bad distortion (ground problem?) so they bypassed the amp and went directly to the speakers and are running the old subwoofer of the old stock amp. The sound is worse than it was before I got the new system installed - but I got it done so I could connect my ipod. They are suggesting I replace the entire remaining system (new amp and speakers). Do I have to get rid of the old speakers? Could I just add a new amp? Does anyone have any guidance about this? I used to like the old speakers but now they don't sound as good with the new head unit (maybe because there is no amp). I've also read on the board that people get rid of the old subwoofer. Is this something I need to do just because I have a new head unit? Feel free to email me at tejphatak@gmail.com if you can help me out.

Thanks a lot!

I would replace the speakers and the amp and then I would add a subwoofer. The 4" speakers can not handle much bass and you'll need a subwoofer to offset all the treble. You've already replaced the head unit which is a great start, but finish the job correctly. You won't be disappointed and the sound quality should be much better by far.

I replaced my six speakers with infinity kappas. Since they're only 4" speakers they shouldn't cost you that much to replace. If they are the original speakers they're 12 years old and probably starting to fall apart. Also, I think there is a difference is ohms I don't remember how to explain it, but new speakers should be more compatible with your new head unit. Also, you would/could blow the original speakers if you have a high output receiver.

It sounds like Zippos doesn't know what they're doing and trying to get you to buy more equipment. Unless you're interested in getting new speakers I'd make it work.

I installed an 04 Pioneer system into my stock speaker system and it works fine. Just have them splice into stock harness and secure their work properly.

There are threads on this. I posted one of them. Anyways, you can connect the low level (rca jacks) to the low level inputs of the factory amps. It should sound close to factory, depending on how your head unit's eq works and such, and the head unit should have a subwoofer output. Just pick up some 4 dollar rca jacks (crimp on type that you can wire yourself) and some wire taps and tap into the system. This would be the easiest method, much easier than bypassing the amps. I did this with a computer. THe only thing is that if the kenwood doesn't have isolated signal ground outs (it probably does, though), you may get engine noise in which case you would merely install a set of ground loop isolators on them (you can construct one from a couple of old modems laying around or just splurge and spend the 12 dollars radio shack wants for them). Anyways, it is very possible, it will take a little research on your part, though. Try this link: It is the wiring diagram for your radio: http://www.intellexual.net/faq/lexusstereo.swf

I also attached another wiring diagram in pdf form. Both work well as I've used both versions with my 96 lexus sc400 Pioneer System.

Lexradiowcd_1_.pdf

• 7 years later...

Micah, if your'e still on this forum 7 years after your post above, I have to say THANKS! That PDF wiring diagram is outstanding. I looked for a WEEK and couldn't find anything that showed the actual color-coding for the speaker wires from the main amp out until I found this link and the file you posted. You're a lifesaver!