Do You Own A 2002 Or Older Vehicle With Onstar?!

CanadaCraig

Hi Craig,

I read that report a few days ago...I have already been notified by Lexus to bring my 02 in to have the "Lexus Link" removed. As I said in an earlier thread, I am taking a wait and see position on this. I suspect a class action suit is in the works.

The same is true of all analog cellular systems. OnStar's not to blame, its a government mandate.

I don't know why they can't retrofit the system to operate digitally though...

Exactly...

GM: I bet it's in the contract though between GM and Onstar. The original verbage in the contract probably has a "step-up" clause for this exact scenario, where GM had the option if it wasn't meeting certain debt to income ratios, that it could enact an escape clause. And since they're in the can these days, they're probably enacting that clause to wash their hands of it..hand the file to the in-house attorneys, and move on.... yet another mistake of costumer loyalty from Detroit.

Toyota: My prediction is that they will offer updated technology, but in a package deal setting. They'll probably offer a lump sum upgrade for the equipment, or a amortized deal if you're willing to sign up for a 24 month contract, and reduce the price for the equipment upgrade. In fact, I bet toyota offers free upgraded equipment for the contract agreement, then just takes preffered returns on the company issuing the service, since digital seems to be the way everything is going anyway.