60-70 Mph Shake/vibe

ericw10

We've had our '90 LS400 for about 3 months. It has 212K on it and very clean. Co-worker had it for 12 years and all records kept. Car drove perfectly smooth until about 2 weeks ago when we lent it to our daughter for a day. She never mentioned anything happening, but I now notice a bit of vibe and slight shake on the highway around 60-70. Took it in for re-balace/rotate, and alignment 2 days ago.

Tech said alignment was out "quite a bit" but now in spec, so I thought that would have solved it, but it has not. Inspection/rotation did not indicate any bent wheels, worn parts, etc. These tire shops make their living finding things to replace, so if suspension/steering parts were bad, I'm sure they would have made me aware.

No unusual sounds at all and the trans shifts fine. Any ideas where to look next? Thanks in advance.

this sounds like the same issue I have.

Ask your daughter if she had to brake hard or from speed...

I'm about to chage the disks (rotors) as the heavy LS heats them up a lot under harsh braking and the natural tendency with an auto is to hold your foot on the brake once you stop, this creates a localised heat spot under the pads where the heat can't escape and warps the disc in this spot.

It's no guarantee but as discs are cheap ish and easy to change it's an easy try to just fit new ones (would go for pads too).

this sounds like the same issue I have.

Ask your daughter if she had to brake hard or from speed...

I'm about to chage the disks (rotors) as the heavy LS heats them up a lot under harsh braking and the natural tendency with an auto is to hold your foot on the brake once you stop, this creates a localised heat spot under the pads where the heat can't escape and warps the disc in this spot.

It's no guarantee but as discs are cheap ish and easy to change it's an easy try to just fit new ones (would go for pads too).

Yep, its a heavy beast and they undersized the brakes a little. But I don't feel any pulsation while braking indicating warpage. I just hope its not a torque converter or drivetrain issue. Too bad since up until 2 weeks ago, I would have driven this car across the USA with no worries. Now I'm not so sure. We're only into it $2500 and it's such a clean car, but if it turns out to be anything serious, away it goes.