Advice On Components To Replace

AppleJack

Hi everyone, the rear main seal on my 92 SC400 is leaking and it's a bigger job than I'm equiped to fixing. The cost is a real stinger - ie $1000 when the seal is like $20.. My question for you all is, While the transmission is removed and the dealer has access to the front of transmission and the rear of the engine- Are there any other seals or components which you recommend replacing while having the access to do the work?

thanks for your advice,

if you are having transmission troubles then now is the time to rebuild. i got mine done on my LS for a little over $2000. i think that this $1000 rear main seal job is a bit over the top. i dont know what the labor rate is but it should typically take about 8 hours and if its a dealership i guess the price is right.

anyway maybe have the trans torque converter seal and driveshaft seal changed while the trans is out but getting that torque converter back on is quite a job so it might cost a bit more.

Ok, so if I could summarize the items to do while having main seal replace:

(ps. I've got 150,000 miles on it...)

1. rebuild tranny (major, alternatively just seals at end)

2. replace torque converter and drive shaft seals

3. replace EGR pipe (apparently they can crack with age)

4. ?

5. ?

Any other items in this general area guys ???

Tranny filter ...? Not sure if oil pump gets removed in this work - if so should I replace that ...?

thanks.

Good point about the cable, and mine seems a bit rough too when shifting ...I'll pay close attention to it to see if it warrants the extra cost.

Something I noticed tonight was a badly corroded grounding cable underneath my car on the driver side (just above the exhaust pipe near O2 sensor). I'll get it changed too... maybe this has been causing my O2 sensor grief.

Are there other cables in the area to consider?

there are probably endless things you need to change or address on a 92 and it will become endless. do the small things if time allows and your wallet agrees. my 93 also has many small problems here and there that need to be fixed and its exhausting to even think about! and about your O2 if its throwing a code you might just want to get a new one.

Yeah, I hear ya - but the mechanical engineer in me just wants to pour on the PM (preventative maintenance) ...and yah, I'm ok to let the dealer take care of the current problem O2 sensor on the passenger side - but I'm going to pick up a recent service manual I ordered to see how difficult it is to replace myself. With Lexus dealer rates getting so high - currently at about $100/hr - I have no problem taking 3 or 4 times as long to figure out the solution. Afterall, it's not rocket science and with good mechanical aptitude (or really just interest) owners will probably take more care in doing their own fixes!!

On that note, I'll stop before I go on to complain about the rates!!! he he , and thanks for the tips.

Hey, I just realized something about the leak. Seems to me I've always put Castrol Syntec 5w-50 in my car for many years, but then there was a good sale on oil and they only had Castrol Syntec 10w-30 and I figured its no problem and still a good product. Could this be thinner oil and why the cars started showing leaks? Any comments on this?