Why Is This Happening

saint_ex

Over the past 2-3 weeks, I had noticed something wierd with my transmission (99 ES, 125,000miles). Where I live, there is a section of a highway where it has a steep grade. Sometimes, on the way down, the car will downshift into 3rd (at about 40-45mph), and oddly enough, it won't let go. No matter what I do (i.e. let go of the gas, add more gas, disengage/engage the O/D back on, it stays there. And it will stay in 3rd even after I clear that grade - eventually it does, roughly 0.5 mi after I clear the grade.

It happened 3 times so far. Ironically, sometimes it happens, but most of the time it doesn't. My concern is that because of the relative mileage on the transmission, that something might be wrong with it. I DO know that when going down hill, shortly after braking that the car does disengage the O/D (i.e. goes into 3rd), but it won't stay there if I, say, press on the gas gently.

Does anybody know what is happening? Is it possible that it is just a computer that is getting confused (because of the relative lenght of the highway - over 2 miles)?

Thanks and sorry if I made this very confusing!

btw, AFT was changed on regular basis, and shifting is very smooth.