RX wood steering wheel

perfectpitch

Hey RX owners! I was looking to replace the steering wheel on my 2001 RX with a wood/leather one, but the dealership wants $2100. for the replacement. I was looking around online, and found a couple of websites that sell steering wheel "wood overlays" for the RX300. They are wood pieces that fit over the existing steering wheel, and they only cost around $200.00. Is anyone out there familiar with these? Please let me know.

perfectpitch

• 2 weeks later...

Those wood overlays are just thick plastic/vinyl stickers that goes on the front of the steering wheel. The back of the steering wheel isn't covered. In my opinion, it is a waste of money because 1) it doesn't look good; 2) it makes wheel uncomfortable to hold; 3) it can come off after a hot day under the sun.

• 3 weeks later...

You can go to http://www.american-stiches.com to look at aftermarket steering wheels. Things to know:

1. You will send them your existing steering wheel. So you need some kind of temporary steering wheel. You can try your dealer or a salvage yard.

2. It takes 10 - 15 days to get it done.

3. You need to schedule your steering wheel with AS. The time frame all depends on how busy they are.

4. When you send it in, you might want to send one of your wood trim from your car to make sure the wood stain matches. Only the "U" shaped piece in the center of your dashboard is installed at the factory. The door plates are installed at the port.

5. If that is too much work, you can buy one from Sewell Lexus in Texas. They sell the AS steering wheel without the hassle. It goes for $700.

THANKS LEO! Those are the kinds of overlays I was thinking of. You can buy the kit <www.wooddash.com> and "do it yourself" for $239. However, I recently went ahead and bought an original wood/leather steering wheel for my RX. Slightly used, mint condition......aint nothin' like the real thing! And, I got it for a steal....only $300!!! Now I just need to find the wood/leather shift knob. I noticed that AS also does shift knobs! Hmmmmm.....

• 5 years later...

Hi there, I'm looking at installing a wood dash kit for my 2006 RX 400h. I noticed the kits don't include the steering wheel. Does anyone know where I can purchase a steering wheel kit (if they exist)? And, if not, perfectpitch, would you mind sharing where you located your used steering wheel? Thanks! :D