Need Advice On Buying A Is

stever

I am a LS400 owner and am considering getting a IS but don't know much about them. I've been impressed with their styling and the sportiness appeals to me. I wanted to ask any and all to weigh in and give me your opinions on what years, engines.... are best. I want to stay under $15,000. Thanks for any input in advance. Steve.

I'd suggest an '02 Eshift (auotmatic) if you can find one in your price range. Most of the first year glitches were taken care of that year. The auto trans is stronger than the manual, and much eaiser to find. I bought an '02 used when it was a year old, then drove it for two years and only did routine maintenance. The car was just as good when I traded it in as it was when new. I didn't have NAV or many other extras, so I can't really speak about that. The only complaint might be tire wear, but I understand low profile high performance tires don'tt get great mileage anyway. 15-20,000 miles seems to be the norm. I got 19 MPG gas mileage in local driving and 25 MPG on extended interstate trips.

The most amazing thing, for me, about the IS300 was that it had a very nice ride, but also very good handling, a tough combination to achieve. Power was more than adequate, especially at highway speeds. The car would cruise effortlessly and respond well if you wanted to get on it.

I'd suggest an '02 Eshift (auotmatic) if you can find one in your price range. Most of the first year glitches were taken care of that year. The auto trans is stronger than the manual, and much eaiser to find. I bought an '02 used when it was a year old, then drove it for two years and only did routine maintenance. The car was just as good when I traded it in as it was when new. I didn't have NAV or many other extras, so I can't really speak about that. The only complaint might be tire wear, but I understand low profile high performance tires don'tt get great mileage anyway. 15-20,000 miles seems to be the norm. I got 19 MPG gas mileage in local driving and 25 MPG on extended interstate trips.

The most amazing thing, for me, about the IS300 was that it had a very nice ride, but also very good handling, a tough combination to achieve. Power was more than adequate, especially at highway speeds. The car would cruise effortlessly and respond well if you wanted to get on it.

Great- and thanks. I assume that the eshift is a special auto trans? Do you know how many HP the engine generates? Is the back seat functional or just there? Any options to avoid? I know when I had my LS you really had to watch out for air suspension systems- falure prone and very expensive to repair.

Eshift is standard on all IS300 automatics. It has a "manual" mode whereby you can shift up and down using buttons on the steering wheel.

There were several cases of the CD players jamming, but that was covered by a TSB and the units were repaired or replaced.

I don't really know of any failure prone items. I do know of some people with 130,000 miles plus now with no problems or maybe only a couple of burned out bulbs.

The back seat is useable, but not all that great. Leg room can be a problem. You can ride with people in the back seat, but I wouldn't want to take them on a long trip or something like that.

If you can find a car that the seller has all the service records that show the car was well maintained and a car that hasn't been abused, it should do just fine.

Power specs: Power: SAE and 160 kW , 215 HP @ 5,800 rpm; 218 ft lb

All the specs for 2002 are here:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2002/lexus/...ions/index.html

There were really no major changes for the later years.

i also own a 2002 is300. If your looking for a sporty ride that accelerates with ease...this is your car. personally, i find the suspension very very stiff, which makes cornering better, but thats my opinion. might be a big change for you coming from an LS. power is more than enough because its such a light car. No problems. I have some complaints though

1) there are no air conditioning vents in the back like other entry level sedans...so if its really really hot, air doesnt exactly flow where you want it to.

2) also tire wear, i had to change two of them at 18,000.

3) back seat is okay, but you cannot fit 3 adults comfortably. also depends how tall you are in the front

4) dash looks more toyota like than lexus. a bunch of hard plastics and round knobs you usually find in non luxury cars

5) its more compact than you'd expect. ie. trunk, legroom

6) it cannot play CD-RW cds, only CD-R

minor annoyances

1) drink holders dont fit our big american drinks

2) hood doesnt have those hydraulic?? holders than keep the hood up...you still have to remove the stick and pry it against a hole that will allow it to be held

i know im nitpicking here, but those are my two cents. i dont want to steer you away from the car, BECAUSE IT IS GREAT but those are the minor complaints for a guy in my situation

okay...what i meant was that there is no air that can blow on your face.

also, those foot vents are usually used for heat arent they? and changing the position of air to face and foot will reduce the air pressure for face blowing in the front...

theoretically, it wouldnt make a difference for cold air to be blown to your feet because of the whole hot air rises. Therefore your body would still be hot, and your feet would be cold

iono, i feel they could have added more.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to try and test drive a couple this weekend. I'll probably go to the dealership although I really don't want to talk to those guys. I can't stand car salesmen. BTW if I'm looking to pick up a used IS300 2002 or later what are some problem areas I should pay attention to? Thanks again, Steve. :)