Road Noise - Tire Wear Problem

craig_dot_net

I have the original tires – Michelin 235 55 R18 – on my RX330. After about 15,000 miles I noticed road noise increasing. The Lexus dealer said these tires wear on the outer edges in such a way that they do increase in noise. I think he called it “cupping”. I asked if I did anything wrong (such as tire pressure or alignment), and he said it is just the way these tires wear and that these are a lower profile tire which contribute to the problem. I called several tire dealerships and they confirm the problem. I was irritated as the tires cost ~$1000 to replace, but are still noisy after a short period of time!

Several tire dealers said I could go to a higher profile tire and this decreases the noise problem. One suggestion was 245 60 R18. (Also these tires are slightly cheaper.)

So are they right?

The noise is not really bad, but louder than a $40,000 car should be and I want it quieter. Does anybody have a suggestion for quiet, reasonably priced tires. And worse, if I put larger tires on the car, will the speed read correctly?