91' Ls400: Where To Buy Engine Block Heater?

Leehoyuen

Hi,

I am new to the forum, just purchased a 91' LS400 months ago.

I need to buy a block heater for the vehicle, it gets very cold here in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Can anyone please suggest where to find it online? And, if you have experience installing it, please give a few pointers.

I searched on google, and cannot find any source that sell a block heater for LS400, I suppose only small population live up north need such device.

I don't even know where block heater is supposed to be connected to. :blushing:

Any suggestion and/or comment is very welcome.

Thank you very much.

Hello

Try Canadian Tire. They might not have one in stock but might be able to special order it for you. I went looking for our van and that's what they said. I asked them about installation and they wanted to take out an engine plug and replace it with this heater. Try looking up their website : www.canadiantire.com

I remember seeing an ad from them for a magnetic one. It's like an electric blanket with a magnetic side which you just slap onto the oil tank. Then plug the other end in. No installation required. Don't know how well it worked but it seemed to be gimmicky. Their latest one is an electronic gizmo to prevent rust. costs $200.

Good luck and post a note to let us know what happened.

Hi,

I am new to the forum, just purchased a 91' LS400 months ago.

I need to buy a block heater for the vehicle, it gets very cold here in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Can anyone please suggest where to find it online? And, if you have experience installing it, please give a few pointers.

I searched on google, and cannot find any source that sell a block heater for LS400, I suppose only small population live up north need such device.

I don't even know where block heater is supposed to be connected to.:blushing:

Any suggestion and/or comment is very welcome.

Thank you very much.

Hello

Try Canadian Tire. They might not have one in stock but might be able to special order it for you. I went looking for our van and that's what they said. I asked them about installation and they wanted to take out an engine plug and replace it with this heater. Try looking up their website : www.canadiantire.com

Thank you for the suggestion, I will go this week and will update the result here.

I started the thread, so I will finish it off......I guess most people don't need to buy/install engine heater.

According to canadian tires and parts source, there is no block heater available to 91's LS400.

The other options are either in-line coolant heater or pad heater that sticks under the oil pan. I opt for the pad heater that stick under the outside of the oil pan, as it seems more logical to heat the oil directly, rather than 'heat the coolant and let the coolant to warm the oil'.

Many brands of pad heater available on the market, local canadian tires sells a 125W unit, canadian polar pad, for $100 CND.

Online is cheaper, range from $50-80USD + shipping for a similar unit, but cannot locate any sources in Canada which I found rather surprising. Perhaps, most cars in Canada already come with block heater as standard equipment, except the minority odd one, like 91's LS400.

After UPS brokage fees and shipping, it is about $10 cheaper to buy from US, compare to local store, Canadian Tires (correct: $50 USD unit becomes $80 USD after UPS shipping and brokage fees).

Thank you for others help and input.