Speakers For 1990 Ls400

Jay D

:wacko:

Hi

I Just got a 1990 LS 400 and seems like that I need new speakers, just wanted to know if I should stick to Nakamichi or not¿ Should I get all 7 replaced or just the one or two that needs to be replaced with original Nakamichi that came with the car¿

I cant seem to get the TRAC off light off¿ It turns off when I don't have the car started but it comes on as soon as I start the car¿ Some1 told me it has to do with the tire pressure, is that true¿

Thanks

The TRAC light is auto on (in my 1996 LS400 anyway). For safety is my guess. Better to have it on just in case you hit an oil slick or whatever. I have been in a couple of skids and things usually are happening quite fast during these unforgetable events. I doubt that I would have had the the time to look for the TRAC button and then thump it.

:wacko:

Hi

I Just got a 1990 LS 400 and seems like that I need new speakers, just wanted to know if I should stick to Nakamichi or not¿ Should I get all 7 replaced or just the one or two that needs to be replaced with original Nakamichi that came with the car¿

I cant seem to get the TRAC off light off¿ It turns off when I don't have the car started but it comes on as soon as I start the car¿ Some1 told me it has to do with the tire pressure, is that true¿

Thanks

Hi Jay D,

I tried the route you want to try,(replace one speaker at a time) but shortly after that, another Nak speaker blew. I think these are really nice speakers, but when they are so old, they can't take much. And finding new ones is very hard. There are some replacement speakers that are pretty good, that will fit right in. If you are handy, you could go to slightly larger speakers and modify the speaker box to accommodate them. This would give you a little more "punch". As for the sub, if it still works, leave it in till it goes, it is a very good sub woofer, and when it goes it's not that hard to replace. The speakers in the doors are more time consuming to replace. It's important that you get speakers to match your sound system as close as possible. Hope this helps, Daffy :cheers:

My front and rear door speakers were blown as well, these were 4" speakers front and back. I replaced the front ones with 5 1/2" MB Quart speakers with separate MbQuart crossovers. You need to modify the box, but I was able to fit speakers and crossovers in the same box, so that was great. The rear door speakers were replaced with 5 1/2" MBQuarts with inline crossovers, the box also had to be modified. The new speakers sound is crystal clear, especially when you play CD's. Good luck on your decision.

I had the same problem- my front two mids in the front door didn't work, and the back doors weren't in very good shape either. I have the Nakamichi, and I guess this is a common problem (my sub and tweets still work fine though!) I replaced all the door speakers with JBL Power 4" two-ways, and it sounds great now. I will probably look to replace the sub soon too- is the Nak sub a 10" or an 8"?

sorry about another post right away! falciott- how did you add a Homelink to your 1990? I'd love to add one to my '92.........

sorry about another post right away! falciott- how did you add a Homelink to your 1990? I'd love to add one to my '92.........

Austin, I searched ebay for a visor with a Homelink in it, and I found one from a 2002 Jaguar for about $30. Then I took it out of the Jag's visor, I carefully cut part of the vinyl on the LS's visor , pulled it back and cut the sponge underneath just enough to accomodate the homelink device.I hooked up the homelink to the vanity light from the same visor, so that it could be on at all times. U have to be real careful cutting the vinyl, cause it might not cover the visor yellow sponge on reinstall. This was actually the hardest , from all the mods I did on the car, simply because one has to remove the vinyl part,other then that.. it's way more convenient then holding up a remote all the times.

Thanks- I will have to check eBay- the only thing that could make this tricky is that my car has the blueish interior, so hopefully I can find a car with a blue interior and homelink controller. The only place my opener fits is on the lip of the map pocket, so it is constantly being knocked off! I am surprised it still works :) But $30 for a homelink sure sounds nice...

Thanks- I will have to check eBay- the only thing that could make this tricky is that my car has the blueish interior, so hopefully I can find a car with a blue interior and homelink controller. The only place my opener fits is on the lip of the map pocket, so it is constantly being knocked off! I am surprised it still works :) But $30 for a homelink sure sounds nice...

Austin, it doesn't really matter what color visor you'll be getting from ebay, after all , u'll just be using the homelink device, and the only thing that will show are the 3 buttons. My interior is bluish just like yours, and the homelink part is sorta grey, it really doesn't look that bad. By the way, it's my understanding that Homelinks transmitter before 2000 do not come with a rolling code frequency, so you might want to get a late model visor. Btw, I suggest you practice on a different visor before you install it in your Lex. Good luck tho.

It is totally worth changing all the speakers. I had the pioneer premiere package and changed them all out to 5 1/4" with components in both front and rears and WOW, what a difference. I also changed the deck and am running off a 4-channel amp. The install job is huge, it took me and 2 buddies 10 hours to complete the project.

I can't wait to replace the stock sub and get a 5 channel amp... maybe next spring, my baby goes in the garage for the winter.

You are right falciott- no one besides me will probably notice anyway! And practicing on another visor is a good idea- I'd really like to avoid chewing up the visor. This project will probably have to wait a few weeks until I settle into my class routine at school though...I did see that there is a website where you can buy different colors of homelink button surrounds, but I doubt they are worth $9 plus shipping.