Does It Matter?

swordfish

Sometimes mine wooshes, and sometimes it doesn't. I haven't noticed a pattern for when it does it and when it doesn't. I get great fuel economy and my car is fast regardless of the woosh, so I guess it does not matter. ;)

As for the greater fuel consumption start with some of the basics, check/replace the following: air filter, tire pressure, ignition system, fuel filter, etc. And, above all, no jack-rabbit starts and use the cruise control as much as possible on the freeways.

It will woosh sometimes and sometimes it won't depending on the temps like JC said.

The idea behind the "it should woosh" notion is that if the seal in the gas cap goes bad (which happens over time) you will see a loss in tank backpressure which can cause reduced economy and preformance. If your state has inspections or emissions testing they check the cap then.

I just replaced my entire gas cap with a new Lexus cap and that sound you described is sometimes there and sometimes not there. So I would say it is normal. But I would also recommend to everyone (Like the Toyota/Lexus recommends to replace the gas cap gasket. With gas prices so high you don't want any of your gas to evaporate into the air. I think Lexus recommends every 10 years or so to replace. I just purchased a new cap that has the new gasket installed on it. It was only a few bucks more for a whole new cap.