Tail Light Condensation, Rx300

00RX300

One of the outer tail lights on my 2000 RX300 has started to get condensation in it. There does not appear to be any apparent cracks but it’s hard to tell for sure. Has anyone had any luck solving this problem? I have seen replacement tail lights for around $100 each or $400 for a complete set (2001 style) but no individual tail lights of the 2000 style. I’d hate to spend that much when I only need one. I was thinking about running a small bead of a sealant (RTV) around the seams to see if that would help. Before I did that, I thought that I’d see if anyone had any better ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

• 1 month later...

One of the outer tail lights on my 2000 RX300 has started to get condensation in it. There does not appear to be any apparent cracks but it’s hard to tell for sure. Has anyone had any luck solving this problem? I have seen replacement tail lights for around $100 each or $400 for a complete set (2001 style) but no individual tail lights of the 2000 style. I’d hate to spend that much when I only need one. I was thinking about running a small bead of a sealant (RTV) around the seams to see if that would help. Before I did that, I thought that I’d see if anyone had any better ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

It may be a little late for a reply but after removing the assembly I found a gap in the sealant on mine along the edge. I scraped out as much as I cound in the area, dried the fixture out with a blow dryer, and resealed it with black silicone - seems to be a little stronger than the clear. Has been clear for nearly a year now.

Bill

Thanks,

Bob

I have a 2000 as well and while I never noticed any condensation in the tail lamps I have noticed that small amounts water will run behind the tail-light assembly on each side. If you're looking at the back of the vehicle with the hatch up you can follow a channel from the top of the car back down behind the light. I dont know what caused the water to get in, could just be raising the hatch when there water on the car but I caulked a little at the top of the light assembly to keep the water from getting in there nd it seems to be working. Here in So Cal its rarely wet enough for any length of time for condensation to stay, but if you're taillight isn't cracked this may be worth looking into.

I have noticed that small amounts water will run behind the tail-light assembly on each side. If you're looking at the back of the vehicle with the hatch up you can follow a channel from the top of the car back down behind the light. I dont know what caused the water to get in, could just be raising the hatch when there water on the car but I caulked a little at the top of the light assembly to keep the water from getting in there nd it seems to be working.

Do you have a spoiler, could the water come in through rusting mounting for the spoiler? Does that water drain outside the car or inside if the hatch is down?

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that my passenger rear tail light had no silver reflective coating on the bottom lights. I had no condensation and went to the dealer thinking it was a factory defect. They said no and schrugged their shoulders indicating it was my problem. Can anyone tell me if they had the same experience and how do I dis-assemble the unit? Appreciate your feedback.

• 1 month later...

I noticed that my passenger rear tail light had no silver reflective coating on the bottom lights. I had no condensation and went to the dealer thinking it was a factory defect. They said no and schrugged their shoulders indicating it was my problem. Can anyone tell me if they had the same experience and how do I dis-assemble the unit? Appreciate your feedback.

I wanted to see if anyone had knowledge of this situation. I am picking up a 2005 rx330 on Saturday. I am doing the whole December to remember deal. The car has 14,500 miles. I noticed condensation in the tail :huh: lights. The used car manager said he would have service look at it. I am getting the remainder of the warranty which is 2.5 years or 50K miles. His explanation, after talking with the service manager, is that the lights run very hot and they added ventilation in to the lights 2005. I am no mechanic, but that seems to make more sense for high intensity head lamps than for tail lamps. I have time left on the warranty but I can't stand sales people making things up to appease me. It is costing me 36k, 39k out the door, and I am expecting a higher level of service. I just want to make sure I am fully informed. Thanks for any help anyone can provide. If anyone wants to send me a direct email my address is braat11772@optonline.net. Thanks again.

PS You are all probably aware of this site, but if not, Park Place Lexus offers significant discounts on accessories. The dealer wanted, on sale mind you, $600 for 5 all weather mats(4 mats plus cargo liner). Park Place charged me approximately $150 for genuine Lexus mats. Ask for Loyd. I found them on ebay. The mats are brand new in original packaging. I hope this information helps someone.

The "ventilation to the taillights" story is just bull*BLEEP*. You've got a violated seal somewhere in the lens assembly. Very common problem with the RX series. For what you'll be paying for this vehicle, you need to make them find the cracked seal and fix it to your satisfaction.

It's amazing what some of these sales guys try to pull off with their customers. I probably would have nailed him in the jaw if he had tried that one on me....

mbraat, I just saw a news story on flood cars from Katrina. The crooks are cleaning them up and some how getting out of the flood title and selling them for a nice profit at someone else's expense. One of the things that they said to look at is the condensation in the lights. I would make sure you get the carfax and see where this car has been. If it came from down south you might want to look a little harder at the whole car. These guys are very good at cleaning up high end cars and unless you do some digging under things like trunk carpet and in the engine compartment, like looking inside of fuse boxes for a little silt that they missed you could get stung.

Jeff