Quick Question About Bank 1 Sensor 1 O2 Sensor

svarog

Hi I found the bank 1 sensor 1, it is near firewall on exhaust manifold right?

been trying to get it to come out but its in there really tight and i only have pliers

One question, which way should i be pushing it?

If i am standing at driver's seat, pull it towards me? Or against me?

I was always taught to remember:

righty tighty, lefty loosey.

Suggestion #1: got to autozone and get an O2 socket and ratchet.

Suggestion #2: hit the current O2 sensor around where it is inserted with some WD40 or liquid wrench. Do this a couple of times over the coarse of an afternoon AND when the manifold is cold.

steviej

in my most honest opinion, you don't sound like you should be tackling this. the o2 near the firewall is pretty darn hard to get out and even then 9 out of 10 times it will need to be re threaded to reinstall it.

i don't want to sound rude, just honest.

good luck and keep a 1st aid kit around for your knuckles.

yea have been trying that, it won't go.

I am going to try steviej's advice about liquid wrench tomorrow and maybe get a breaker bar.

I am going to take pictures !! and post them (if i am sucessful), so as to help out anyone in future.

Thanks for help.

those things arent changed rarely! Get on back under the car, Face up, grip it and turn that that screw, if u can try the liquid wrench, if u can tget it , u will have to pay someone! I try and learned to do things myself , if i cant do it, pay someone else! Pull i t right with all your might, or else pay the money for this simple job. good luck!!

yea have been trying that, it won't go.

I am going to try steviej's advice about liquid wrench tomorrow and maybe get a breaker bar.

I am going to take pictures !! and post them (if i am sucessful), so as to help out anyone in future.

Thanks for help.

just put it over the wire and O2 sensor and twist that dman thing towards the passenger wheel (right), wont need to rethread if it aint stripped after u done with it- easy job "righty tighty, lefty loosey."

thanks !!

i am now scared to do it :[

did buy the socket today, is rethreading really hard?

i guess the 40 or 50 of these i've changed so far, on all toyota v6 engines, were just put in extra tight. :huh:

stripped, imo, is a different deal. stripped to me, means that someone cross-threaded the part in. this isn't the case here. this is a case of a part being threaded in for a long time, in a hot environment, causing the 2 parts to slightly "bond" together. when this happens its inevitable that it will pull some threads out with it.

another piece of advice...

since its bad and you're changing it anyway, just cut the wire and put a regular 1/2 inch drive impact socket on it. make sure to use an impact socket because a regular "chrome" socket might crack and that would really hurt. as for rethreading it, you can buy a re-threader from Lisle (sp?) tools. i've also had very good luck using a pipe threader, just make sure you get the right size. most do take part of the threads out with them.

i should add that i've successfully replaced many of these after the local toyota and lexus dealers gave up. they want to replace the entire exhaust manifold, which is very expensive. i've yet to have to replace a manifold.

good luck.

Wow, I 've only changed 20 , and I ve never had a problem with the threads! You said the dealers gave up?! Replace the whole manifold, thats crazy!! Good Luck

just put it over the wire and O2 sensor and twist that dman thing towards the passenger wheel (right), wont need to rethread if it aint stripped after u done with it- easy job "righty tighty, lefty loosey."

thanks !!

i am now scared to do it :[

did buy the socket today, is rethreading really hard?

i guess the 40 or 50 of these i've changed so far, on all toyota v6 engines, were just put in extra tight. :huh:

stripped, imo, is a different deal. stripped to me, means that someone cross-threaded the part in. this isn't the case here. this is a case of a part being threaded in for a long time, in a hot environment, causing the 2 parts to slightly "bond" together. when this happens its inevitable that it will pull some threads out with it.

another piece of advice...

since its bad and you're changing it anyway, just cut the wire and put a regular 1/2 inch drive impact socket on it. make sure to use an impact socket because a regular "chrome" socket might crack and that would really hurt. as for rethreading it, you can buy a re-threader from Lisle (sp?) tools. i've also had very good luck using a pipe threader, just make sure you get the right size. most do take part of the threads out with them.

i should add that i've successfully replaced many of these after the local toyota and lexus dealers gave up. they want to replace the entire exhaust manifold, which is very expensive. i've yet to have to replace a manifold.

good luck.

I replaced mine !! It was easy thanks guys for help. I think liquid wrench is what made it possible.

Nothing got stripped or anything, I was very relieved. Was going in expecting horrible stuff. Only took 20 minutes, and I put howto in the workshop tutorials thread!!