Front Wheel Bearing Procedure - '91

lexus400

found it, dealer did not have a bearing so I'm going to try an aftermarket using my "Hub Tamer" bearing kit. Great tool, presses bearings in/out on the car. Just used it on my A8 and saved a lot of disassembly.

Bob

The bearing I'm using is a "Timkin". Made in Japan, $42 at Autozone. We'll see how good it is, looks first rate

in the box.

lexus400, I'm assuming your doing your front wheel bearings right? Let us know how it goes especially with the hub tamer because I have the hub shark and it doesn't work on the LS front wheel bearing because of the spindle going through the bearing. The setup is different from the A8 (which I also worked on for a friend) and it worked out just fine on that. On the LS I had to remove the hub assembly and use my press to get the spindle and bearing out. Although I prefer the original KOYO bearings, Timken also makes excellent bearings and you shouldn't have any problems with them. Good luck.

Yes, I was planning on doing the fronts but after really checking everything again, it looks like my

inner tie rod is to blame and the control arm bushings in the rear. I was sure it was the bearing and

kind of ruled out the rack/inners because it's pretty new.

I would shocked if the hub tamer didn't work on the Lexus but I have only used it once. I'll check the manual

and see if they have a listing. Yes, the Timken bearings look like a quality piece and I would give them

a try even though I usually stick with OEM.

Bob

lexus400, I'm assuming your doing your front wheel bearings right? Let us know how it goes especially with the hub tamer because I have the hub shark and it doesn't work on the LS front wheel bearing because of the spindle going through the bearing. The setup is different from the A8 (which I also worked on for a friend) and it worked out just fine on that. On the LS I had to remove the hub assembly and use my press to get the spindle and bearing out. Although I prefer the original KOYO bearings, Timken also makes excellent bearings and you shouldn't have any problems with them. Good luck.