400h Towing Question

Hi everyone

I just got my new 400h and have an awesome 480 Km on it. So far I love it, I did not buy it to save on gas but more as a “doing my share to keep the earth green” . . . and it’s a cool toy.java script:emoticon('B)', 'smid_24')

B)

I will be moving from Ottawa to Nanaimo (3000 miles or 4100Km give or take) in a week and will be driving out there with my 400h and pulling a SeaDoo.

My question is; will the engine/battery hold out for the trip, and what happens on a loooong uphill climb. Will it deplete the charge? Will the engine be good enough to pull and recharge the batteries?? Is there anything I should do or NOT do.java script:emoticon(':blink:', 'smid_15')

:blink:

congrats on a great suv choice and joining our community. toyota built the battery and the charging system for longevity so it never depletes more than about 60% and charges more than 90% except under rare occasions. the system is totally self contained and as long as you are in the ready position on your dash will automatically charge the battery thru brake regeneration via coasting or braking or the internal combustion engine itself. ON along uphill climb you are using the gas engine and it is powering the suv, charging the battery and at the same time the hybrid system is giving you electric boost via the two electric motors. If you drive with the energy system on the nav screen you will be able to see this happen. it will never go below two bars on the battery or above one bar from the top, you may see that last bar on the top of the scale if you are going down a long mountain hill but it is rare.

The more important aspects of this vehicle are never run out of gas and know where the key is that locks your wheels on if you have to change a flat. When the low gas light comes on the dash you have three gallons left. Do not ignore this. If you run out of gas you only have THREE chances to start the SUV or it will shut down and need to be towed to a dealer ( a toyota dealer will do on vacation they are trained in hybrids and there are more of them) your nav system will know where the nearest dealer is.

I would also try to be gentle with the brakes for the first 1000 miles and let them wear in correctly so be more ginger with them when towing, that is just a personal preference. Also the 400h is shipped with the tires at 40psi, many dealers forget to lower them to the correct pressure that is on the driver door of your vehicle. enjoy hope this helps,