For All You Bfi Lovers

I removed the plastic covering to the left of the passenger side foglight and fabricated my own "plastic covering" in its place. I then installed two small metal brackets on the bottom and one on the top (set deep inside; not really visible) to create a sliding mechanism for the plastic plate. On rainy days I slide the plate closed looking stock just like the other side (firmly sealed in place). On nice days I slide it open and it is a direct route only about 4" away from my K & N cone filter! I definitely notice a sizable difference in performance especially at speeds of 50mph+! I will post pics as soon as I take them. :cheers:

Nick

I was thinking of doing something similar, was going to follow your footsteps on dropping my SRT intake down into the well.

I 'd like to see pics. I can't picture it sitting here, will look when I leave for the day to see what you're talking about.

I had a BFI template cut out for my SC4 before I sold it for my GS4.

How does air get into the well as it is, now, with the slide closed?

Here are the pics!

The first pic is with the "plastic plate" closed (close-up) post-17215-1156806485_thumb.jpg

Plastic plate open post-17215-1156806571_thumb.jpg

Plastic plate open (close-up) post-17215-1156806656_thumb.jpg

Plastic plate open post-17215-1156806782_thumb.jpg

Plastic plate closed post-17215-1156806871_thumb.jpg

Driver side comparison post-17215-1156806955_thumb.jpg

I still have to put some type of screen element in place to protect the filter fom heavy debris such as rocks/pebbles Etc. Also, I would like to fabricate some type of duct inside the inlet to direct the in-coming air flow to the filter. ;) With the "slide" closed air is just natural venting into the void where the filter resides in the wheel well (still a lot colder than engine bay air). You will just have to clean the filter a little more often with the filter in this location.

BTW the pieces of plastic (tabs) on the top of the inlet - do not remove these! They are from the factory and they are the only things that fasten the original plastic piece in place (in case you want to revert back to OEM). I know in these pics my bumper looks like it's been sand blasted (it only takes a couple of time doing 120MPH + to get little pebbles and sand to do that to your paint...LOL I need to get it repainted sooner rather than later (or buy a CF hood) the rest of the car is flawless.

Thanks,

Nick

So was this part of your original intake mod, or were you driving around for awhile with the snorkel exposed (as in the "slide open" pics)?

I'm asking because I'm wondering if I drop my intake down in front of the wheel, if it's exposed like that. Just trying to plan what I'll have to do besides just bend it down in there, if I am going to have to protect it from water. From previous emails in which we discussed it, I was under the impression there wasn't any real water risk (sans driving through a foot of water, of course).

Oh yeah: it looks good, you did a good job!

So was this part of your original intake mod, or were you driving around for awhile with the snorkel exposed (as in the "slide open" pics)?

No, The area was completely closed off (as if the "slide" was closed) and I definitely noticed enhanced gains from my original K & N CAI with the heat shield (just like your SRT). Now it's even better with the option to open it up for enhanced direct air flow. I'm telling you at highway speeds there is a big difference in pull. I was at 70mph the other day and got up to 110mph a lot quicker than normal (hence the ram air effect works better as you go faster).

Nick

SK, your probably right. I must have mistaken what a BFI actually was from things I have read. Thanks for the good comment though. I like this mod because it's an easy DIY and your car still "looks" stock. Standing about 8 - 10' away from the car you wouldn't even know if the "slide" was open or closed (because it's down so low).

Nick

Cool, thanks for the follow up.

And the idea behind the BFI (see planet soarer for good analysis) was forming a "box" of colder (and more) air for the stock filter to have access to. I knew what you meant, the basic idea here has enough similarities that I knew what you were doing when you said "BFI." I would have described it similarly.

Thanks again.