2004 Rx330 Brake Pedal Lag

LarryP123

Hopefully someone can give me some insight into fixing this troublesome problem.

When depressing the brake pedal, my RX has what feels like a 1/2 inch gap from the time I depress the pedal until the brakes actually engage. An example would be sitting on a 'slight incline", I can softly depress the brakes and the RX will continue to roll, once I push a little harder it abruptly catches the brakes. A second example is in stop and go traffic, if the car is rolling at 2-5 mph and I try and feather the brake and it won't engage until I pass the 1/2 inch gap and it makes for a very jerky/hard stop.

I've had newer RX loaners and have compared the braking to my three other cars and all of their braking seems much more responsive. In that, from the moment you rest your foot on the brake pedal, the response is firm and consistent from a light feather to heavy braking.

I'm aware of the TSB's out there for the brake rotors (been replaced twice under TSB) and the brake booster (complete loss of brake pressure - pedal w/out pressure going to the floor)... and I've expressed these service bulletins to my service advisor. He continues to claim the service tech feels the brakes are within specification. Last visit after two years of complaining my service advisor said he would bring up the issue with the regional Lexus service advisor - three weeks later no answer.

To me it feels like a bad master cylinder...has anyone else experienced this issue? Any thoughts?

hmm...no experience with brake problems in my RX. Sounds like you got some problems. but i just want to point out that 1/2 and inch is barely pressing down on the pedal...perhaps it is like that and i just dont notice it. How does pushing the pedal beyond that half inch make the car jerk to a stop? i usually have to press down pretty far to get to a stop.

There is a TSIB (BR005-04) effecting 2004 RX330's to improve the overall brake pedal feeling during cold starts, the brake booster assembly has been changed. If your VIN number is BEFORE the following VIN numbers then this TSIB appilies to you.

FWD 2T2GA31U#4C015883

4WD 2T2HA31U#4C030481