92 Sc300 Strut,oil,ac,window Washer Fluid Problems

burt1

Hello, I bought a 92 lexus sc300,

I have several problems with the car

1. one mechanic who I think was trying to sell me tires told me that my rear struts are gone and I need them to be replaced. I used this guy before for a break repalacement on another car and they still squeek. so is there any way to check and see if they are gone? and if they are how hard is it to replace for a novice who wants to start working on his car?

2. My engine burns oil like crazy, is there an oil or oil additive that will slow this down? I had it checked out at the dealer and they told me the car is just old but didn't have any suggestions, doe anyone know what type or v i should put in it?

3. My window washer fluid (shooters) the one on the right stopped working and the one on the left just spits but doesn't hit the window, does this need to be replaced?

4. and finally I just wanted to say my a/c was retrofitted and smelled really bad, so I took this forums advise and sprayed the air intake(no the one in the engine like i read someone on another site said to do which would kill your engine) inside the car and it seems to have done the trick... however when I try to put my own a/c r14 in the car it doesn't last long, but I had it checked for leeks and they said there was none, any way to get a longer charge out of my a/c?

1. one mechanic who I think was trying to sell me tires told me that my rear struts are gone and I need them to be replaced. I used this guy before for a break repalacement on another car and they still squeek. so is there any way to check and see if they are gone? and if they are how hard is it to replace for a novice who wants to start working on his car?

2. My engine burns oil like crazy, is there an oil or oil additive that will slow this down? I had it checked out at the dealer and they told me the car is just old but didn't have any suggestions, doe anyone know what type or v i should put in it?

3. My window washer fluid (shooters) the one on the right stopped working and the one on the left just spits but doesn't hit the window, does this need to be replaced?

4. and finally I just wanted to say my a/c was retrofitted and smelled really bad, so I took this forums advise and sprayed the air intake(no the one in the engine like i read someone on another site said to do which would kill your engine) inside the car and it seems to have done the trick... however when I try to put my own a/c r14 in the car it doesn't last long, but I had it checked for leeks and they said there was none, any way to get a longer charge out of my a/c?

A good way to check your struts is to lean your whole body onto the car itself and push it up and down. Listen for squeeks and see how your car responds to the bounce you're giving it. Changing the strut on that car is not that hard if you're mechanically inclined. You just got to take out your carpet panels in the trunk and remove 3 bolts on top next to the gas tank. And there's a couple of bolts under the car that needs to be taken out. The rear struts are so much easier to do than the front. But you need a spring compressor to take out the springs to change the struts.

There is a product called Engine Restorer 8 cylinder that i often use. It works very very well. It slows down the consumption of oil. I'll let you read the labels on the can for the wonders it can do for an old engine. Look for it at any auto store.

If you open your hood, you'll see tubes attached to your water sprayers. Over the years, they get clogged or sometimes ripped and unplugged. Check them while someone sits in the car to spray the windshield. You should be able to see water flowing thru them. If u don't, something is clogged along the way. If you need to adjust them, go directly to the sprayer and there is a tiny tiny flat head screwdriver that can be fit in there and turned to adjust the power of the sprayer.

Check your ac hoses for leaks again from a second mechanic shop for a second opinion. Make sure you're using the right type freon and also have the mechanic check for pressure in your hoses. The bad smell is coming from your ac filter canister behind the glove compartment. It needs to be changed.

A good way to check your struts is to lean your whole body onto the car itself and push it up and down. Listen for squeeks and see how your car responds to the bounce you're giving it. Changing the strut on that car is not that hard if you're mechanically inclined. You just got to take out your carpet panels in the trunk and remove 3 bolts on top next to the gas tank. And there's a couple of bolts under the car that needs to be taken out. The rear struts are so much easier to do than the front. But you need a spring compressor to take out the springs to change the struts.

There is a product called Engine Restorer 8 cylinder that i often use. It works very very well. It slows down the consumption of oil. I'll let you read the labels on the can for the wonders it can do for an old engine. Look for it at any auto store.

If you open your hood, you'll see tubes attached to your water sprayers. Over the years, they get clogged or sometimes ripped and unplugged. Check them while someone sits in the car to spray the windshield. You should be able to see water flowing thru them. If u don't, something is clogged along the way. If you need to adjust them, go directly to the sprayer and there is a tiny tiny flat head screwdriver that can be fit in there and turned to adjust the power of the sprayer.

Check your ac hoses for leaks again from a second mechanic shop for a second opinion. Make sure you're using the right type freon and also have the mechanic check for pressure in your hoses. The bad smell is coming from your ac filter canister behind the glove compartment. It needs to be changed.

Thanks, I did check to see if there was a filter, they said the 92 is the only car without a filter but I could jerry rig a filter by unscrewing the kick plate on the passenger side, and under that I could do it, what do you think?

Thanks, I did check to see if there was a filter, they said the 92 is the only car without a filter but I could jerry rig a filter by unscrewing the kick plate on the passenger side, and under that I could do it, what do you think?

hmmm. I've never attempted that before but keep us updated if it works !

• 1 month later...