Replacing Ground Wires

lexus082

I just replaced the ground wire going from the transmission to the body of the car. I also plan to replace the engine gound wire and the positive wire to the starter. How difficult is it to replace the positive wire going to the starter since the starter is located in a restrictive area?

Also, is there a large benefit of using the 4 gauge wire verses a new oem wire. Obviously larger the wire larger its capacity but is it really necessary. I just replaced the transmission to body cable and used just got a new one from Lexus. Old wire was covered in crud. Thanks in advance.

Its almost absolutely necessary to change out or add additional ground wires onto all your battery/starter/alternator if you plan to go with an aftermarket sound system in your car. And i recommend any 4 gauge wire will do but make sure its insulated so acceleration noise doesn't travel thru your wires and into your speakers. But if you plan to keep your car oem, then replacing the wires isn't crucial unless they're deteriorating.

Its almost absolutely necessary to change out or add additional ground wires onto all your battery/starter/alternator if you plan to go with an aftermarket sound system in your car. And i recommend any 4 gauge wire will do but make sure its insulated so acceleration noise doesn't travel thru your wires and into your speakers. But if you plan to keep your car oem, then replacing the wires isn't crucial unless they're deteriorating.

Where do you get the ground wires? Is it as straight forward as it sounds to replace them?

Where do you get the ground wires? Is it as straight forward as it sounds to replace them?

You don't want just any amp wire. It must be good insulated amp wire ( monster cable, lightning audio ). Cheap downtown wires are insulated so cheaply that you'll get ignition and engine noises running thru your cables and into your speakers.

Has anyone been able to replace the engine ground wire without having to remove the intake manifold. Seems its pretty tight and I can't even see where the wire bolts to the engine, nor can I squeeze my hand down there far enough to feel the bolt.