Sc400 Air Conditioner Problem

The ac on my 92 SC400 works and cools fine however the compressor shuts off after a few seconds. I have changed out the temp control module but this did not fix the problem. I had a shop check out the freon levels and pressures and this is all fine. The shop wanted another 300 $ to further diagnose the problem they thought was related to an internal sensor in the compressor itself. They said IF this was the problem the entire compressor would have to be replaced since the sensor is an integral part of the compressor. Prior to my taking this thing to the local Lexus dealer with their sky high labor rates I thought I would try this forum to see if anyone else has experience with the problem. Any help/info would be most greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jerry in Jacksonville, FL

• 1 month later...

Had the same problem. It was the pressure valve in the evaporator/heater box under the hood and dashboard.

Bring it to your AC person and have it pumped down. If it goes to 0 and stays there, the pressure valve is blocked and needs to be replaced. It takes a lot of time to change it out and costs ~ $70 for a sub. What happens is that when the compressor engages, the freon is prevented from flowing because of that valve/sensor and the suction side goes to 0 (zero) and shuts the compressor off.

The ac on my 92 SC400 works and cools fine however the compressor shuts off after a few seconds. I have changed out the temp control module but this did not fix the problem. I had a shop check out the freon levels and pressures and this is all fine. The shop wanted another 300 $ to further diagnose the problem they thought was related to an internal sensor in the compressor itself. They said IF this was the problem the entire compressor would have to be replaced since the sensor is an integral part of the compressor. Prior to my taking this thing to the local Lexus dealer with their sky high labor rates I thought I would try this forum to see if anyone else has experience with the problem. Any help/info would be most greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jerry in Jacksonville, FL