Starter Problems

gmantob

One time(not at band camp), I thought my battery was dead, so I had the wife take it down to Kragen to have it tested. After she left I thought, "I wonder if I should call her and tell her to make sure a load is applied to the battery while testing. I figured, theres no way they would test the battery without a load on it." When she came back, they said it was all good. So then, I removed the starter and took it down myself. They said it tested good as well. I was *BLEEP*ed off, and bought a battery(shoulda listened to that inner voice) while two Kragen employees tried to talk me out of it. Point being, just because someone else says its good, its not always true.

First thing I would do is check battery connections. If you can move them by hand, snug em up. Check for corrosion on the battery cables/connectors.

Next, examine the lights while you crank it over. Do they dim a very small amount, or do they almost go out completely? If they almost go out completely, the battery cannot supply enough current to the starter, and the voltage drops.

If the battery is running out of steam, and its brand new, I dont know what to tell ya. I would throw in on the charger overnight, and try again. If the battery drops down again, it could be the alternator, or perhaps a device is still running when the car is turned off.

If this were an old chevy truck, the answer would be so easy. You just go buy a new alternator, starter, and battery. Viola, youre done for 130 bucks. The cheapest I have seen alternators for is about 140 shipped on ebay, and about the same for a starter.

Also, in the future, if you could proofread your posts, it would be less confusing to read. Let us know how you make out, and good luck!