Dvd Navigation For 2004 Rx 330 Update?

juanders

I have read most of the posts here for the DVD navigation updates and in certain ways they differ in information. I of course realize that information is very hard to come by (why won't Lexus share?). I am interested in updating the DVD for my navigation system which is still running on same data from when I bought the car Jan 2004.

The dealer wants $315.00 for it. When I asked the version date he said, "whatever is on the new cars" but woudl not give any other info. I read here that it was updated in Jan 06 but somewhere else it said they get updated on October. Well its almost October and i would rather not pay mucho bucks for something that is already outdated. Is there any solid info out there on update cycles? Also, some of you mentioned you can buy it elsewhere and save the installation cost. Who can I buy from?

Come on guys, I know you are the experts on all things Lexus. :wacko:

oh stop, your making us blush :P

i dont suggest you buy the update...you will still have the same ugly brown interface that i also have...all that is updated are the roads, and how often are roads changed? thats quite a lot of money for a CD. No installation is necessary...you just put it in the trunk like a cd player, so tell them that you will install it yourself.

I would buy it from the Lexus dealership because there are a lot of fake copies out there that will ruin your system if you put them in...better safe than sorry. A few bucks wont make a difference.

I disagree. The update is worth it. The major update is the POIs (points of interest) I live near Atlanta and I have driven cars with Version 3.1, which is the stock '04 nav disk, and a version 4.1. Version 4.1 had many more POIs and made it possible to find what I wanted. I also travel a lot. I drive as far north as New York City and as far South as Miami. Roads do change, or I should say get added. The update makes a difference. If you don't travel then maybe its not for you but if you do travel it is worth it. If you buy it, definetly get it direct from Lexus; for peace of mind and recourse if there is a problem. As for he brown interface... I like it.

no you cannot. And dont try, because it will wreck your dvd drive so that nothing will work on it. Somebody correct me if im wrong.

Depends. What year is the GX? If the are the same generation it will work. Then again if they are the same gen. then they are probably the same disk version.

Also, if the GX version is not the same then it will say something to the effect of "incorrect disc" or "ureadable disc". If that happens just pur the original one back in and all is good.

I tried a 4.2 version from a 5th gen RX and that is what happened. I put the original back in and all was good again.

If the discs aren't compatable you will need to buy the upgrade disc. Ver 5.1 is the latest.