Ball Joint Replacement

I found Guy Telefunken's response to an earlier post on replacing the lower ball joint (http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7318&hl=).

QUESTION: The procedure doesn't mention anything about "managing" the struts or coils. Are there any watch outs to insure that you do not dislodge the potential energy in the strut/spring, turning a simple job into either a dangerous, or at least much more tasking, job? I am considering taking this job on, but don't want to get myself in a pickle. Any tips beyond the obvious (e.g., use a ball joint removal tool) are appreciated.

Thanks.

There is nothing to worry about as the spring and shock are handled as an assembled unit. the only way to hurt yourself without removing the nut on the end that holds it all together, is perhaps by dropping it on your foot.

Well...

I replaced the lower ball joint on the passenger side tonight. Definitely an easy job with a standard pitman arm puller by your side. The original ball joint still looked to be in fair condition, but the car feels firmer now, so I think it was a good decision to replace it one way or the other.

Unfortunately, I still hear a creak coming out of that area. The noise is generally present when you turn the steering wheel while stopped or driving at slow speeds. What I have deduced is that the creak disappears when you turn the wheel and the front passenger side suspension is not under load (i.e., raised on a floor jack). The noise gets worse as the load on the suspension increases (as when you lower the jack). The odd part is, if I PULL on the brake disc, the noise goes away. If I PUSH on the disc, the noise gets worse (again, all of this is while turning the steering wheel -- car stopped in this case :P ). I have tried pushing and pulling on all parts of the dust shield, but it doesn't do anything to increase or decrease the creak. I have had my nose right in the area where the creak is coming from, and I can't positively identify where it is coming from.

Does anyone have thoughts on what might be causing this?

Couple of additional thoughts -- I checked the stabilizer bar, but the noise is definitely not coming from that area. I don't suspect the struts since the noise occurs with the car sitting still (this may be wrong on my part) and the noise is definitely coming from the brake/ball joint area. I don't suspect the ball joint, because I replaced it. Yes, I have searched the site, and I can't find anything that seems to hit the spot, outside of a post where a lot of people agreed that they had undetermined creaks and would like to know the cause of them!

Thanks!

OK, I took the car into the Lexus technician today. After 50 minutes of investigation, we still do not know exactly what was causing the creak -- but the problem IS gone... at least for now.

The technician 1st thought it was a dry rack and pinion bushing, but it wasn't.

Second, he used a spray lubricant on the strut top mount... nope.

Then the second technician got involved.

They took the car off the lift, turned the steering wheel time and again... hmm, let's take off the sway bar and see if that's it. The car goes back on the lift, sway bar comes off, car comes down... nada -- noise is still there.

Then the stethoscope came out, but still no luck in locating the noise. The best they could tell was that the noise transferred through the lower suspension arm.

As a last resort, they loosened all known, unchecked components including the caliper and started spraying lubricant. When they tightened everything back up, voila, the noise was gone.

The end result is that it was a minor (although very annoying) creak, it is now gone, and there was no cost to me due to the graciousness of the technicians. And YES, I will continue to take my car to this Lexus shop because of these guys -- top quality customer care.