Engine Loses Power

squ1rrely

Runs for about 15-20 mins. and then starts to lose acceleration and has a slight knock. Will start to stutter when I try to accelerate and the rpm's don't go up. Then it eventually dies and I get the rotten eggs smell. Now I think it may be either the catalytic converter (unlikely considering these almost never go out) or an oxygen sensor. Also do these models have any sort of air pump or exhaust heat activated baffle/riser. Any feedback is much appreciated. Kind of lost here. :wacko:

Just because the converter is smelling bad doesn't mean it's the converter. The cat is a symptom of something that is causing it to overheat - get it? That means excess fuel. A bad O2 sensor would trip a trouble code. Poor ignition does not neccessarily, and that would lead one to one of the two coils, or a bad wire, or something like that. Whatever path you choose, diagnose the thing, and don't throw parts at it.