Clunking Sounds?

OmarG

So as i get used to my car which is going on week 3 i am starting to notice the imperfections. One is somewhat bothersome. I get a clunking noise when i brake. It doesn't sound scary just a bit unnerving. Any ideas what that is? also I noticed my low coolant light is erratic. The resovoir is full(toyota red fluid). Thanks again. I just ordered a manual for free(!) Also anybody ever replace the footwll light. My passenger side light is out and i don't know how to get it out. One more thing... i don't know if i am being obsessive but i hear a slight ticking noise from the engine. Is that normal?

OmarG, welcome to the club amigo! What you are asking is probably one of the most common problems with these cars. You would be best served to run a "search" for "clunking noise". It is your control arms, and/or strut rods. Whatever part it is, 99% positive it is suspension related.

Your ticking noise is your valves in the engine. Again, run a search for ticking. Don't know if your timing belt has been changed in the last 90k miles, but you might want your local lexus dealership to run your vin number for you to check the history. Sometimes using synthetic oil will reduce the ticking noise a bit. But if it's too badly out of shape, you might need to have the valve adjustment service done on the car. This is where they actually replace shims in the engine block for the valves. It's not cheap. But, nothing is on these cars, trust me, I know! ;)

Welcome to the club. Now grap yourself a cold beer and search until you realize you've learned stuff about your car that you never thought you needed to know. Then come back to us and we'll calm you back down. B)

I did a search already but maybe i'm not putting the right keywords. Anyways thanks for the prompt response. My timing belt was replaced at 178k and i'm at 211k. I'm not to worried. I think i'm in love.... with my car. just want to keep her a while. :)

Welcome! I Love my 93Ls also. Though I do have problems with mine, I accept this as part of the package.

I see that you are in Athens, GA. On prior threads about Honest and fair Lexus dealers. There was one or two mentioned between Atlanta and Athens. And Park Place Lexus in Plano, Texas. Has excellent prices. My local dealer wanted $150.00 for a TPS. Park Place sold it online for $75.00.

Call for their web page address. They have parts and their prices listed for review. 1-800-275-5398