Power Steering Leak?

I looked at a 92 SC400 this sunday that was in fair condition for 108,000 miles. The owner stated that the surpentine belt was replaced at 100,000 maintenance but the power steering was leaking (fluid on top of cap) and the typical squeeling was audible when I test drove it.

The owner stated all that was needed is a replacement cap for $30. He seemed honest but I find that hard to swallow.

I notice the PS pump tends to go out at about 100,000.

How much for a fix should I expect?

Could the cap fail? I myself would have replaced it before putting it up for sale.

hoses that pass the power steering fluid which is ATF in this case cause the hoses to harden and cause oil to seep past the clamps. this could be the case where the return and or feed to the pump may be leaking. i think the oil you see on or around the cap is caused by the owner spilling when filling. also the ps pump may need to be rebuilt or changed. this can cost 50 bucks to ~800 bucks depending on if you rebuild it or take it to your dealer.