About The "clunk" : Hear It Or Feel It ?

soggy60

What I 'sense' ( not sure if I hear it or feel it):

After comming to a complete stop, if I ease up, ever so slightly, on the brake I sense what seems to be a 'downshift' of the transmission ( sometimes two 'downshifts').

Is this the 'clunk' that y'all are discussing ?

Thanks,,,,,

Pete

Thanks for the reply . . .

Prior to my posting, I did do search & read the threads ( same as you suggested....)

I guess, to me "clunk" & "lurch forward" sounded more 'harsh' than what I sense: but does seem to fit the 'general description'.

Ours is a brand-spanken new 2006 . . .

We'll keep an eye-open, so to speak...

I didn't notice the cluck at first either, after about 2500 miles, I started to notice it. It has gotten worst now that I am at 6000 miles. My GX is going in next Monday for the TSB.

Thanks for the reply . . .

Prior to my posting, I did do search & read the threads ( same as you suggested....)

I guess, to me "clunk" & "lurch forward" sounded more 'harsh' than what I sense: but does seem to fit the 'general description'.

Our's is a brand-spanken new 2006 . . .

I too have a brand spanking new 2006. I know exactly what you are talking about and also am not sure if this is the infamous "clunk" everyone is concerned about. What I have read from the links provided above sounds much more ominous than the rather mild downshift feel that I notice. I assumed that it was just the transmission shifting down to first after a stop.

I actually feel a very similar thing on my 2007 BMW 530xi after a stop, and assumed it also was a transmission downshift.

Not sure what to think at this point, but I'll definitely keep an eye out for the "problem" getting worse.

As i have mentioned many times in old threads about this, you can RECREATE the clunk yourself. Simply, put the car in drive, leave your foot on the brakes, and either raise or lower the air suspension. Somehow, sometime, the clunk will come up, and may come up a few times. TRy that. I tried it after the new TSB, and so far, haven't recreated the clunk yet. :cheers:

As i have mentioned many times in old threads about this, you can RECREATE the clunk yourself. Simply, put the car in drive, leave your foot on the brakes, and either raise or lower the air suspension. Somehow, sometime, the clunk will come up, and may come up a few times. TRy that. I tried it after the new TSB, and so far, haven't recreated the clunk yet. :cheers:

Well I tried this and noticed nothing unusual. I just took delivery two weeks ago and am hopeful that Lexus fixed the problem by the time my car got built.

The thing I have been feeling (and others may as well) is a very minor "bump" feel about 10-30 seconds after stopping at a light. Feels to me like the transmission is downshifting to 1st gear once it realizes I have stopped. At least I hope that is what it is :unsure:

A2 Lexus, unfortunately that is some early signs of the clunk. When was ur vehicle manufactured (on the sticker, on the driver's door jam) so we may have reference to other 06 GX470 owners. Thank You. :mellow:

Looks like my 06 GX is also joining the club. The other day when I came to a stop and before I took my foot off the brake pedal, I raised the rear of the GX and then lowered it using the RAHC switch. Sure enough, I felt a shudder in the driveline. Felt kind of like a vehicle tapped the GX lightly from the rear. Since I only have 3400 miles on the GX, I imagine it will get worse as the miles accumulate.

I made an appointment with Prestige Lexus in NJ. They said it takes about 3 hours to do the repair. While its there, I might as well get the first free service done even though I already changed the oil and filter myself. They also said they would give me a loaner car, but I might just hang around till its done.

Has anyone had the repair done at Prestige Lexus? Or any repairs/service done there. If so,

how did everything go? Thanks

A2 Lexus, unfortunately that is some early signs of the clunk. When was ur vehicle manufactured (on the sticker, on the driver's door jam) so we may have reference to other 06 GX470 owners. Thank You. :mellow:

Boy - sure hope you are wrong. This is my first Lexus. I usually drive German but my wife really liked the GX. Since it will primarily be her car (and the "family car" for trips) I let her overrule my choice :chairshot: .

I have had incredibly good luck with Audi and BMW and expected the Lexus to be an even better ownership experience. With only 400 miles on the car things are not looking too good.

Build date was 5/06 per the sticker on the door.

A2 Lexus, I hope I am wrong but judging by your description, it seems like symptoms of the clunk. Dont let this spoil your Lexus experience. If you went thru the 4 other TSBs that Lexus made for the clunk before this one you might think of selling ur Gx right away! That was my experience this whole time. just trying to shed some light for you. If you hav this TSB done ASAP you will eventualy forget about it!

A2 Lexus,

As others have said...don't be too dismayed with Lexus . . .

We had a 1990 LS400 ( best Lexus product ever made)

The an Rx330 Great Vehicle

Lx470 Awesome (just too big for us)

Rx330,,,,screw their drive-by-wire mess...too scary...step on gas ,,,maybe go, maybe not...

Gx470, really nice,,,,but the cluck-a-mation crap....

Yo Lexus - are ya slippen ?