A/c Blower Fan

'98 ES300. I have an A/C blower fan that does notwork when connected to power plug. The powere plug measures 10-13 volts and when removed the fan runs when connected to + - terminals on the battery. The console does not show any DTC trouble codes. When turned on the fan indicator shows fan speed is advancing to max. The system is an automatic system.

The nearest Lexus dealer is 100 miles away and they say problem is either Controller or head? Cost to repair was estimated at $250 to $850 for parts and ?250 labor. HELP :o

'98 ES300. I have an A/C blower fan that does notwork when connected to power plug. The powere plug measures 10-13 volts and when removed the fan runs when connected to + - terminals on the battery. The console does not show any DTC trouble codes. When turned on the fan indicator shows fan speed is advancing to max. The system is an automatic system.

The nearest Lexus dealer is 100 miles away and they say problem is either Controller or head? Cost to repair was estimated at $250 to $850 for parts and ?250 labor. HELP :o

Not sure about 98 but by 2001 Lexus was using PWM, Pulse Width Modulation, to control blower speed. Basically switching the ground side on and off very rapidly with duty cycle controlling blower speed.

Problem was resistor. Diagnosed and repaired by dealer for $325. The part is available for around $50. Dealer charged $114.98 and $191.16 labor plus 6.90 for shop supplies.