Instrument Cluster Lights Dim & Go Out

After the week of rain in the NE, my 97 SC300 (5 speed, 110K) has started having electrical problems. First the sound went out on the radio; but this I fixed following the instructions at carstereohelp.com (took out the rear seat, drained out the water underneath it, disconnected the orange connector, radio sound worked.) I left the back seat out and the orange connector disconnected for a couple of days, hoping everything would dry out as the main leak had been through the moonroof. I reconnected the orange connector yesterday and everything seemed fine for about 10 minutes. Then the instrument panel lights went out. I'm refering to the white light that illuminates the gauges; the needles still glow and the warning lights seem fine. Everything else electrical seems to be working fine.

The white lights are not burned out. When I first turn in the ignition, they're on but dim. When I start the engine, the middle third of the white lights goes out and then gradually over the next 15 seconds or so the rest of the white lights go out.

I checked the fuse for the instrument panel. My alternator seems fine (13.95 V at idle). My battery is at least 5 years old and there was some corrosion on the terminal, which I cleaned off.

Any thoughts?

firmly slap the top of your instrument cluster a couple of times, sometimes when the bulbs get a little shake they light up again. Don't go too far and beat it too hard though. It worked on mine and also on my climate control display!

Good suggestion, Supermancam, but no luck.

After looking at the problem after dark, I want to re-describe the problem with my instrument panel lights.

1. Turn key to on, white instrument panel lights on left and right side come on dimly, center white light does not seem to be on at all.

2. Start engine, white instrument panel lights go off (not dim) after 10 seconds or so.

3. Needle lights, warning lights, climate contral lights, radio lights all work and dim normally with dimmer control.

Could my problem be as simple as a burned out light bulb? Is it possible to replace bulb inside the instrument cluster?

• 3 weeks later...