Upper Control Arms

Hey guys,

has anybody tried replacing their front upper control arms on a 98-05 gs3 at home? are there any special tools required? does it take long? it looks simple enough to me, but I'm sure there's more to it...I looked for postings about that but couldn't find anything, I also looked for do it yourself manuals....if anybody has any input, I'd really apreciate it, I'm sure somebody has done it or gone through the process before, so please feel free to share

thanks

An easy job, when you have a lift. The only tool I would recommend is this/or similar ball joint seperator. The OTC 7503 is an ideal tool for seperating the upper ball joint from the knuckle below. Banging on the ball joint shaft or "pickle forking" is not how it's done.

OTC 7503

Upper Control Arm Replacement

Shock Absorber R&R

Observe the correct torque for each fastener.

I see you posted a few days ago about bushings in the upper arm. Any automotive machine shop can replace the bushings for a minimal fee; provided you take the arms and the new bushings to them. Whether or not you should replace the entire arm depends on where the worn parts are. The bushings nor the ball joints were meant to be replaced, according to Lexus. The entire arm is MSRP $453.27 for each side, with a new ball joint and bushings.

If you consult your local machine shop, they may be able to press out both the bushings and ball joint and replace them for you at much less cost that that of two new arms. You can probably find the parts available aftermarket. You'll have to call or look around.

It wouldn't hurt to have the alignment checked when you are done.

Thanks buddy, the information is invaluable, helped out a lot...I'll post once I'm done with replacing it.

:cheers:

Oh, and one more thing for future reference: you can get discounted OEM parts from www.lexus-parts.com,

It's a Lexus dealer (Sewell Lexus, Dallas, TX) that has an online website and sells OEM parts for discounted prices only for internet buyers, and they'll ship almost anywhere. The whole Upper arm assembly is $360 per side, which is a pretty good deal