Shifting Question

Hello,

Have a 04 es 330. can I shift the car manually, or downshift manually, will this cause any harm? have not tried this yet and didn't check stupid tranny thread. just wondering. thanks, and have a great day!

Timothy

A transmission is designed to shift.... Shifting it in any manner you want too will not hurt it.

thanks for the reply, not out to play race car, just a thought. I wonder if people with all the tranny problems tried this. thanks again.

Timothy

A transmission is designed to shift.... Shifting it in any manner you want too will not hurt it.

thanks for the reply, not out to play race car, just a thought. I wonder if people with all the tranny problems tried this. thanks again.

Timothy

Sure, the ECM that controls shifting will prevent you from over revving the engine, but by no means was it designed to be used this way as the normal way of driving. It WILL definitely shorten the useful life of the transmission. And yes, I tried every means to make this transmission shift properly.....but it ended up I had to trade in my '03ES for an '07ES to correct this problem. LOL :)

Timothy

Sure, the ECM that controls shifting will prevent you from over revving the engine, but by no means was it designed to be used this way as the normal way of driving. It WILL definitely shorten the useful life of the transmission. And yes, I tried every means to make this transmission shift properly.....but it ended up I had to trade in my '03ES for an '07ES to correct this problem. LOL :)

good point, not having problems with shifting, I'll let the car do the shifting, your 07 looks great. take care.

Timtohy

Hello,

Have a 04 es 330. can I shift the car manually, or downshift manually, will this cause any harm? have not tried this yet and didn't check stupid tranny thread. just wondering. thanks, and have a great day!

Timothy

In my 2001 AWD RX300 I can shift down into 3rd by disabling O/D. If I wish to go into second there is a shifter "notch" for that too, as there is for 1st. But, unless you are already down to the roadspeed range wherein a downshift to any of the lower gears is appropreate as determined by the engine/transaxle ECU you don't really have much control as to when the downshift will actually occur.

Also keep in mind that you're driving a FWD vehicle. On a slippery roadbed a downshift into second at the top end of its roadspeed range might result in enough engine lagging torque, "braking", to/at your front wheels that there is complete lose of traction with the roadbed, possibly resulting in loss of directional and an accident. Obviously a comparable downshift into 1st would result in an even higher level of engine braking and therefore would be much more hazardous in those circumstances.