Timing Belt & Water Pump Just Installed But Trac Control & Eng

I blew my water pump and belt while driving my super 1992 SC400 with 93,000 miles, got it towed to a good shop and had both replaced. Now after all that the car runs great but both the trac control and engine warning lights are on. How do I tell the car that it's okay now, turn the lights off? I've read some past threads on the issue but they seem to tied in to other car problems. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I blew my water pump and belt while driving my super 1992 SC400 with 93,000 miles, got it towed to a good shop and had both replaced. Now after all that the car runs great but both the trac control and engine warning lights are on. How do I tell the car that it's okay now, turn the lights off? I've read some past threads on the issue but they seem to tied in to other car problems. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I experienced the same problem with my '92 SC400. The problem is with HOW your mechanic installed the new timing belt. Unlike most cars, the timing marks on the block for the cams and the crank are for a rough guide only. After the three shafts are set to these marks, the final position is set by the marks on the timing belt itself. You will get these two error lights as an indication that the two cam sensors are out of sync. Once the timing belt is installed properly, they will go off. Best to get the tech manual and follow the procedure EXACTLY. It doesnt make sense until you realize that the belt itself is where the timing is set.

First time I changed my TB, I had to repeat it twice :o

You are completely right. I took it back to my mechanic and he looked at it and said it was perfectly timed. He said maybe the sensors are broken. I quick trip to the Lexus dealer later, they said it was the timing and timed it right for me. The service manager said my car was running like a top and didn't need any other attention. he said, come back in 150,000 for another belt and water pump. At least I didn't buy my parts from them, YIKES. I took my car back to the original mechanic and they gave me a bunch of brake job and alignment coupons. Now the car runs even better than when I first bought it.

• 4 weeks later...

You are completely right. I took it back to my mechanic and he looked at it and said it was perfectly timed. He said maybe the sensors are broken. I quick trip to the Lexus dealer later, they said it was the timing and timed it right for me. The service manager said my car was running like a top and didn't need any other attention. he said, come back in 150,000 for another belt and water pump. At least I didn't buy my parts from them, YIKES. I took my car back to the original mechanic and they gave me a bunch of brake job and alignment coupons. Now the car runs even better than when I first bought it.

So they didn't need to replace the whole belt to fix it? Do you know if it causes any damage to the car to run it in the meantime while the light is on? How much did the Lexus dealer charge to fix it?