Replacement Key For 2001 Rx 300

rockhead

The plastic housing of my key to my 2001 RX 300 broke all around. I've tried several times to close it with electrical tape but the tape keeps peeling off. I read a previous thread about this issue but it seems almost all the links included in that thread for replacement housings are dead (granted, the thread was from about a year ago).

The electronics of the key work fine - it's just the plastic housing that's cracked. So, today, in June of 2006, other than spending big money at a dealership, what are the alternatives to replacing the plastic part of the key? It's a bit embarassing driving a luxury SUV and pulling out my key with cracked plastic and electrical tape hanging off all around.

Looking for the most economical and easiest solution. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Go to this web site. www.toy-lex.com They sell just the back cover with the one screw hole

that will fit your cover that has the key attached for $35.00. I have not received mine yet, but it is ordered.

• 2 weeks later...

I used Wrap-Fix self-fusing repair tape and plastic cement to repair an IS 300 key which had cracks on both sides. Can operate the buttons through the tape. Ugly, but it works.

• 2 years later...