Help Cam Seals

jimmy1

Still trying to get an answer, my dealer said that to change the cam seals it would cost an additional 500.00 on top of the timming belt and wp charge. He says that the cam seals are not changeable when you do the timming belt. After reading this site it seems like everyone does the cam seals when they do the timming belt. Whats up. Am I being told untrue information from the dealer. The service tech said not to do the cam seals. Thanks for your help, great site. Jim

Cam seals do leak on the VVT-I V8. I've changed 2 sets, and seen many leak. They are not like the older 1uz-fe engine where you can take off the cam gear and replace the seal. The VVT-I V8 cam seal is behind the cylinder head . You have to remove the cam from the head and disassemble it to remove the cam seal. Lot more time consuming. If yours leak down the road, you'll have to remove the timing belt, valve covers and cams to replace the 2 seals