98 Es300 Scalloped Tires..what Could Be The Reason?

I bought a used lexus in Nov of '04 with 97k miles. After few days of driving, I noticed that it is making more noice than 97 camry (my friend has it). When I had tires rotated, steering was vibrating and vehical was pulling to right. Thought wheel bearing is gone. I had Midas check it and serviceman suggested that problem was not related to wheel bearing but it is due to scallopped tires. Did not mention any other reason besides suggesting new tires. I am thinking about getting new tires but do not want spend money without fixing the root cause of the problem.

What could be the problem?

Is the problem related to struts, shocks or something else?

How do I know if problem is due to a particular item?

Where should I get it done to save money but want best parts.

I really appreciate your input!

Thanks!

This sounds suspiciously like a problem I had to cope with on a different brand of car. Be suspicious of the wheels! They need to be checked to see how true they are.

There was more than one which was not perfect but only one which did not meet specifications on my car. After replacing one, I found a position for the other wheels which was smooth.

As years went by and tires were repaired and replaced I despaired of trying for the exact best location of each one and decided to just live with it since the car was then "old."

These wheels were also steel and would allow air to leak enough that I needed air every month. I vowed I would not buy cars with steel wheels again - which I haven't. Especially if there is more than one driver, I think curbs get hit and sometimes it deforms those wheels.

Tires do get "scalloped" and you need a thorough look at all the tests for new tires you can find so that you do not get a brand that is more likely to develop this.

Thanks for your help!

I had local tire company had a check on it to find what was the reason behind it.

He looked at one of the tires (worst one) and suggested that car needs struts replaced.

How do I find that struts must be replaced? Are there any signs or symptoms of worn struts.

All am trying is to find the root cause of the problem before investing money.

Thanks!

I had local tire company had a check on it to find what was the reason behind it.

He looked at one of the tires (worst one) and suggested that car needs struts replaced.

How do I find that struts must be replaced? Are there any signs or symptoms of worn struts.

All am trying is to find the root cause of the problem before investing money.

Have a complete alignment first and ask to see how "out of spec" it currently is. 4 wheel complete alignment is around $80 (about the cost of one strut). You should be able to tell if the strut is bad by bouncing the corner of the car. If you replace the struts due to his suggestion, how much will you be out if it was the wrong suggestion.

I would get a second opinion.

steviej