Cam Seals Help

jimmy1

I have my car at the lexus dealer right now and they just called me up to say that they dont replace cam seals with the timming belt ,water pump ,and 90mile service.The service tech said that the cam seals are on the front of the engine and when they do the timming belt it is from the side of the engine. He said in 10 years he has never seen a cam seal leak on the ls model. Only on the 6 cylinders. He said to do the cams seals there would be an additional 500.00 charge. Does anyone know what is going on. I asked him what if the cam seals start leaking in 6months or a year. he said he would stand behind this. He said their would be the same amount of labor later on to change the cam seals as there would be now. Help

Cam seals do leak on the VVT-I V8. I've changed 2 sets, and seen many leak. They are not like the older 1uz-fe engine where you can take off the cam gear and replace the seal. The VVT-I V8 cam seal is behind the cylinder head . You have to remove the cam from the head and disassemble it to remove the cam seal. Lot more time consuming. If yours leak down the road, you'll have to remove the timing belt, valve covers and cams to replace the 2 seals.