2001 Rx300 Left Rear Brake Catching Intermittley

ecelani

This past November I had new tires, brake pads and the rotors turned down to be smooth. I drove the car to Florida from New Jersey and just got back to Jersey. About every 20 or so brake pedals coming to a stop the left rear brake vibrates or pulses and catches for a 1/2 second or so. I took it back to the garage that did the tire and brake job and they said the ABS computer is telling the brake to go on and the garage does not have the software to analize the problem. I should take it to the dealer. If I pull the ABS fuse and the

problem goes away that would mean that the ABS system is getting the wrong signal. Will it damage or hurt anything if I pull the fuse? Any thoughts?

I'm interested in responses to this as well. Our 1999 RX300 AWD pulses the ABS intermittently as well. I can't see any harm in pulling the fuse. Same as if the fuse were to burn out. You might get the ABS light, but it should go away if you re-install the fuse

You need to ask the service department for some advice.

As I understand it, on most ABS cars, pulling the fuse to the ABS computer disables the system completely and you now have a very nice non-ABS equipped car that will stop just like the millions of cars on the road today that don't have ABS. If you can live with that (I can) then go for it. Oth, my wife would never dream of losing ABS, even though she is such a conservative driver that she only gets the ABS on perhaps once each winter.

Gary

Here are some options.

The abs sensor is located on the hub and is a magnetic pick up.

What this means is it has small notches of metal raised that a magnetic floats over. If the computer stops getting the magnetic pulse or it slows compared to the other wheels it will actuate the abs motor.

here is why it can be a problem.

if the hub is worn it will cause the sensor to flex away from the magnetic and the computer can;t read it clearly anymore so it thinks the wheel is not moving.

If the wire is damaged it will do the same causing a loss of signal.

If an impact gun was used excessively for some reason during repairs it can damage the sensor causing it to go off also.I had this happen once after lowering my car replacing the suspension.

Also if the suspension is bent it will cause uneven contact on that corner under braking as the inertia of the vehicle of pushed forward to the front wheels and lifts the rear slightly.

If you hit a bump at the same time and it lifts the wheel stops spinning causing the abs to kick in.

Weak suspension (springs and shocks) can cause slow reaction time to keep the tire planter and in traction.

Here are some options.

What this means is it has small notches of metal raised that a magnetic floats over. If the computer stops getting the magnetic pulse or it slows compared to the other wheels it will actuate the abs motor.

if the hub is worn it will cause the sensor to flex away from the magnetic and the computer can;t read it clearly anymore so it thinks the wheel is not moving.

If an impact gun was used excessively for some reason during repairs it can damage the sensor causing it to go off also.I had this happen once after lowering my car replacing the suspension.

Also if the suspension is bent it will cause uneven contact on that corner under braking as the inertia of the vehicle of pushed forward to the front wheels and lifts the rear slightly.

If you hit a bump at the same time and it lifts the wheel stops spinning causing the abs to kick in.

Weak suspension (springs and shocks) can cause slow reaction time to keep the tire planter and in traction.

This only happens when the car is stopped and just srarts moving, not sure what the hub is, is that the rotor

housing? The impact gun you are talking about, is that when the wheel nuts are put on? It does not happen

when the car is moving, so a bump would not cause it. So, the shocks and suspension would not have any effect. it only happens when you take your foot off the brake and start moving forward. Can these small

notches of raised metal be inspected, if so, how?

Here are some options.

I'm interested in responses to this as well. Our 1999 RX300 AWD pulses the ABS intermittently as well. I can't see any harm in pulling the fuse. Same as if the fuse were to burn out. You might get the ABS light, but it should go away if you re-install the fuse

When does it occur, and how long has this been like this, which wheels? Does it happen without touching the brake, my car it happens just when you start moving from a dead stop.

Mine happens under braking. It is intermittent, both light braking and hard braking. I tried to pull the speed sensors from the hubs, but the 10 mm bolts are corroded into place (broke one) and the speed sensor is like glued in place. Could not remove without destroying. Tried to clean magnetic pickups in place with electronic cleaner and compressed air. No difference to speak of. I may pull the fuse and drive as a non ABS vehicle, not sure yet. My quess is a speed sensor has some crud on it.

• 2 weeks later...

This past November I had new tires, brake pads and the rotors turned down to be smooth. I drove the car to Florida from New Jersey and just got back to Jersey. About every 20 or so brake pedals coming to a stop the left rear brake vibrates or pulses and catches for a 1/2 second or so. I took it back to the garage that did the tire and brake job and they said the ABS computer is telling the brake to go on and the garage does not have the software to analize the problem. I should take it to the dealer. If I pull the ABS fuse and the

problem goes away that would mean that the ABS system is getting the wrong signal. Will it damage or hurt anything if I pull the fuse? Any thoughts?

Found the problem, the Lexus dealer tech went for a ride and I produced the noise. They inspected the car for $92 and replaced both rear speed sensors, drove the car for abount a week and the problem is gone.

Total cost was around $750.