2006 Gs Rough Ride

I was told by the Lexus service advisor that many customers complaint about rough ride on 06 GS models. They also recommend replacing the run flat tire to normal tire. Recently, after I replace my tire to regular tire, the rough ride is still there. Car actually sends all kinds of road feel to the driver. Car is drift to either left or right of its own.

This morning, after my friend test drove my car. On the road, he told me the car drive like a 15K instead of current 50K. I told him that I have exactly the same feeling. My friend told me it could be a suspension problem because the car is vibrate and shaking in all directions. He does not feel full control of the car.

I keep asking myself, am I the only owner who has this kind of problem?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told by the Lexus service advisor that many customers complaint about rough ride on 06 GS models. They also recommend replacing the run flat tire to normal tire. Recently after I replace my tire to regular tire, the rough ride is still there. Car actually sends all kinds of road feel to the driver.

This morning, after my friend test drove my car. On the road, he told me the car drive like a 15K instead of current 50K. I told him that I have exactly the same feeling like him. My friend told me it could be a suspension problem because the car is vibrate and shaking in all directions. He does not feel full control of the car.

I keep asking myself, am I the only owner who has this kind of problem?

I have had my 2006 GS 300 for only about a week, and I agree the ride is quite different that the 2003 LS 430 I had before. However, I did expect it to be! In my research, I discovered more than one review that described the increased road feel with the GS cars, and some articles noted that Lexus intended for the new versions to compete well against German cars (I assume MB E series and BMW 5 series) in terms of sporty suspension and enhanced road feel. I like the car very much, great handling, more than enough power in the V6, and almost every option you can get in an LS. As luxurious as any Lexus but much sportier than most.

Perhaps this can help... test drive a 3 series and report back your relative ride feels.

I did test drove a 3 series back to three weeks ago. The ride on 3 is bit rough (also equipped with run-flats) compare with GS's silky ride when it was new. However, the character on my GS has been change from silky ride to current rough ride (18,000 miles now).

The body roll has increased when making sharp turns. At the end of the turn, the nose pulls right back making side by side body roll. I did not experience the same character on my first 10,000 mile ownership. Somehow I feel the suspension can not hold the car in balance. It actually creates too much body movement. That is why I do not feel confidence any more when making sharp turns.

I do need some directions to bring back the solid ride.

Have you ever driven fast over bumpy roads? It's fairly easy to do permanent damage to both car and 2WD truck suspensions by driving fast and aggressively over bumpy roads - damage that permanently degrades both ride comfort and cornering capability. Some owners, including myself have seen TV commercials of cars and trucks being driven wildly and then wrongly assume the vehicles are built to take that kind of punishment.

Although I try to avoid potholes and bumpy road as careful as I could, I did run over some of them. I live in New Jersey, potholes are almost everywhere during the winter. The dealer had checked the suspension, no damage was found. However, I am not sure if the dealer did check the suspension components carefully.

I would drive another similar GS300 for comparisons sake. Like Monarch said, these things can happen but the suspension isn't THAT fragile.

You also might want to play with adjusting the PSI. Remember, 33 PSI is reccomended for the runflats that have a MUCH stiffer sidewall than standard tires. You might want to try airing them up.

I tried 36 psi, the ride is stiffer than 33 psi. Tire send almost 100% road feel back to me. I can even feel it when the speed is just 10 - 15 mile/hr. This morning, I adjust the air to 35 psi and went for a round of golf game with my son. I had two sets of golf club in the trunk. The ride is a bit improved but not much.

Last night I saw an user review at Yahoo auto, a guy bought a used GS 300 AWD from a Lexus dealer. On his way home, he found that the story of rough ride is true on his GS 300. So he turned his car right back to the dealer and trade it in with new ES 350. The guy said he was so happy because he not only got more horse power and also have more options than the used GS.

After that story, I am thinking of trade it in with ES 350 or go for BMW 330/ 525. I had enough dealing with the rough ride. I do not care if the rough ride is normal or not any more. Life have to go on.

Thanks guys for all your help and suggestions. I feel much batter now.

I just came back from Lexus dealer. A friendly salesman let me test drive both ES350 and GS300. These are two different cars. As soon as I starts test drive the ES350, I realize that there is no way to go to ES350. The ride on the ES is too soft compare with GS. Surprisingly, the salesman recommend that I better kept the GS because of the depreciation is so high on first year ownership. If I really don't like current GS, it is better to wait for the new GS350 rollout in September 2006 . The question is, we do not know the ride will improved on the GS350 compare to GS300.

I also went to BMW dealer later on. Steve, you are right that the BMW is not smoother than Lexus.

I might try another tire. Will the summer tire get any better on the ride comfort catagory? I noticed some GS owners who choose Pirelli PZero Nero and Michelin Pilot PS2 19" summer tire. I don't have summer tire experience. My friend owns E500 who use Dunlop SP Sport 9000 18" summer tire. There are only 19" Pirelli PZero Nero, Michelin Sport PS2 and Dunlop SP Sport 9000 matches GS on the Tire Rack. Will 19" summer tires stiffer than my current Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 17" tires? Or I should give up some handling to go for the grand touring all season tire like Bridgestone Turanza LS-V or Continental ContiProContact 17" tire.

Anyone has comments or suggestions? Appreciate your help!

Increasing the wheel diameter is just going to further stiffen the ride. I would try a grand touring tire like the Bridgestone Turanza LS-V or the Michelin MXV4.

Increasing the wheel diameter is just going to further stiffen the ride. I would try a grand touring tire like the Bridgestone Turanza LS-V or the Michelin MXV4.

Everyone likes their car different. Some feel ES ride is perfect, and some feel it's too soft. I am not sure if you will like ride on bmw 3series, after 15k. They do feel stiff to some people. I agree with SW03ES, I'd try other tires such as grand touring. Check out tirerack and see their review. I believe you can also return them if you are not happy with your choice. (make sure you check with them first). Good luck!

p.s. have you tried different lexus dealership? Ask them to check all your alignment and suspension component.

Have you ever driven fast over bumpy roads? It's fairly easy to do permanent damage to both car and 2WD truck suspensions by driving fast and aggressively over bumpy roads - damage that permanently degrades both ride comfort and cornering capability. Some owners, including myself have seen TV commercials of cars and trucks being driven wildly and then wrongly assume the vehicles are built to take that kind of punishment.

That got me thinking...

I would expect any modern car to cope with modern roads. The manufacturers know what sort of roads their products will be driven on - and they should have the know-how to make something that suits. OK, you wouldn't drive a Lexus over the dirt roads in Namibia, but the tarmac of USA or Europe shouldn't be an issue. If I buy a Lexus do I need to buy a special atlas which shows me where the smooth roads are? :unsure:

The reviews on the tire rack show different result. Bridgestone Turanza LS-V is rated the highest among the grand touring all season tire. However, there are still couple of reviews think the tire is too hard. It is so difficult for me to make decision. I am on my second set of tire now. If I make another wrong decision, I will be sitting on 3 sets of tire with just 18,000 mile on the odometer.

I owned two 3 series for a total of 11 years. I have never felt so uncomfortable until I bought the GS.

The reviews on the tire rack show different result on their comments. Bridgestone Turanza LS-V is rated highest on the grand touring all season tire category. However, there are still couple of reviews think the tire is too hard. It is so difficult for me to make decision.
If I was looking for a soft riding tire for a GS, I'd visit a Lexus and Toyota dealer and see what tire model comes standard on the LS430 and Toyota Avalon. Then I'd buy one of those tires.

The Michelin MXV4 and the Dunlop Sp Sport 5000. Both very smooth and quiet tires.

As for the LS-Vs, thats what stopped me from getting them too. BUT, the responses are overwhelmingly good vs bad. If you buy bridgestones in a store I think you also get to test ride them for 300 miles and you can trade them in if you aren't satisfied.

Honestly though, I've driven the GS and while it doesn't ride as soft as an ES or LS, it doesn't ride poorly. Its just sportier. Have you driven another GS to compare?

I love my GS on its first 10,000 mile. I can make sharp turns (exit ramp) with speed over 60 miles per hour without step on the brake. I have full confidence in any kind of road condition. After 12,000 mile, the ride character seems has changed. My car has too much body movement. It seems the suspension can not pull the tire and car altogether. I feel less control while driving on highway.

One user review on Yahoo Auto describe the 2006 GS "the car seems to drift (left or right) even on flat (non-crowned) pavement, as if there is too much play or slack in the steering wheel & the wheels."

Last weekend I test drove another GS at Lexus dealer. The demo car does not have side by side movement like mine.

I am going to drop off my car to a local tire shop tomorrow. Hopefully, they can check the car and give me some suggestion.

I actually took the car back to Lexus to have there service manager test drive not once but twice. The result is normal as usual.

All I can think right now is after all Lexus is not an ultimate driving machine. I should not have expected Lexus to be drive like the bimmers.

I would ride with him as he drives it and as he drives another one for comparison.

A Lexus doesn't drive like a BMW handlingwise, but you shouldn't have noticed such a pronounced difference after 15k miles and other GS's shouldn't be riding and driving more smoothly.

The following information has more detail of what I feel about my GS:

--------

I’ve had my 2006 330xi (no sports package) for about one month and can honestly say I hate the way this car rides. I’m trying to decide whether it’s the run flats, the suspension or a combination of both. Some of the highways where I live are cement and are slightly undulating. The car bounces over these small dips and crests literally throwing me and the passengers up, down and around. Then I might go over a slightly buckled expansion joint and BOOM – the shock waves up through the seat and up my back are downright awful. Choppy roads translate into a lot of vibration throughout the car and my body. I am not kidding when I say that every time I drive the car my lower back actually hurts for hours afterwards. Very harsh, jittery ride on anything but baby-butt smooth asphalt. I’ve been driving these same roads for 20 years with probably 12 different cars and haven’t experienced anything even close to this. Question: do you think if I ditch the run flats and take my chances with regular tires that I’ll improve the ride as I describe it? I’m fairly certain it will handle the bumps a lot better but what about the choppy road vibration and bounciness? Does anyone know if there's a way to relax the suspension? Has anyone actually replaced the run flats with regular tires? I have to do something. I can’t go on driving this car the way it is!

----

After reviewing this, I think I should change the tile of my post to proper words "harsh ride". It will match better to what I feel on my GS.

Well, I think I'm about to give up my GS. It is not healthy at all to pay too much attention to the car. Does anyone think it's possible to sell this vehicle by myself? The trade-in value from Lexus is roughly 38K. I saw some used GS posted for sale at $40,995 - $43,995 without NAV at similar mileage. My GS equipped with DVD/ NAV/ backup camera should worth a bit more. All of them were posted by dealer. My question is, will people buy such high volume vehicle from a private seller?