How Do I Replace Brake Light Bulb On 1994 Ls400?

Gene

I can't get an inspection (NC) because one of the two left-rear brake lights is out. I think I have to remove the entire light assembly. Am I right? If so, what panels inside the trunk do I remove? What screws? If I have to remove the entire assembly does the rubber seal come loose easily or does it stick to the frame? I'm sorry for seeming so ignorant. I've had this since November. I replaced the antenna and screwed up the fender area around it. I'm trying to be more cautious with this project. Thanks, Gene

I can't get an inspection (NC) because one of the two left-rear brake lights is out. I think I have to remove the entire light assembly. Am I right? If so, what panels inside the trunk do I remove? What screws? If I have to remove the entire assembly does the rubber seal come loose easily or does it stick to the frame? I'm sorry for seeming so ignorant. I've had this since November. I replaced the antenna and screwed up the fender area around it. I'm trying to be more cautious with this project. Thanks, Gene

Hi this link explains how to remove the rear light cluster although it is an article on tinting but the bit about removing the clusters should be what you are looking for.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/lighting/ti...taillights.html

cheers,

Steve

I did it a few times.. If its the outside make sure the trunk is empty. Then follow the directions. Not that bad... I think I am missing a few screws after ripping everything apart to replace lights and antenna.

Cheers to LEXUS

Thanks, everyone. To be honest I failed to consult the owner's manual. I just didn't think it might be in there. The pictures showing someone darkening the rear lights came in handy although they were for the right rear and not for the left rear. I changed the bulb and now have a N.C. inspection that last's until May, 2007.

For whatever it's worth I went inside the trunk. To get to the screws I removed two nylon plung screws - one from a panel pad and one from the hard plastic that runs the across the trunk latch area. The hard plastic has an inverted U that helps it adhere to the metal. When replacing everything I missed it and had to perform a redo. The two screws are 10mm and are both at the bottom. I dropped a screw (naturally). I would suggest putting a towel below them. After removing the screws one should pull the light assembly out about a couple of inches and push back. This will disengage the plastic pegs that secure the back of the light. With the light assembly out it's just a matter of replacing the bulb. I did have a little trouble with the upper screw hole when putting things back together. The light assembly has soft rubber surrounding the female nuts. It's pretty difficult to force the light assembly so these rubber surroundings cover the screw holes. I had to force the screw through the rubber. I hope it still seals well.

Anyway, folks, thanks again. I'll probably be around again if something else goes wrong. I'm sure glad this site exists and that you are here to help. Regards, Gene

• 1 year later...
it should be in your owners manual. if you don't have one you can download them off lexus.com or they'll send you a copy of yours!

Still have not been able to do either off the Lexus site.

'92 LS400, did the rear taillight, left side. Pull corner carpet back, may have to remove the plastic push in anchor(s), unscrew 2 gold 10mm phillips head screws in the silver bracket on side, I also unscrewed the bottom 10mm nut. Pull side out slightly and then pull taillight straight back as it is retained by 2 guidepins on the inboard side of the cluster. 1157LL (long life) bulbs, about 2.99 for 2 at Autozone.