A Couple Of Problems With My Es300

Hey, new member here, and also a fairly new Lexus owner. I bought my 98 ES300 about a month and a half ago. I've been loving the car to death, the smooth ride and plush luxury, but as with a lot of 8 year old cars, there are some little problems that I've been looking to get fixed.

First off, the backlight on my stock radio has gone out. Ive searched the forum and found some things about replacing the lights on the climate controls, but I havent found anything about the stereo. Is there an easy way I can replace this without having to go to the dealer?

Second, I've been having some problems with the CD changer. I like to make copies of my CDs for the car, so I can keep the originals in my home so they don't get scratched. The problem I've encountered here is that the CD changer doesn't seem to like playing CD-Rs. Sometimes it will take up to 5 minutes to load a CD, and other times it won't play at all. I've gotten the "CD err" message a few times as well. Is this a common problem with this model of the CD changer? My mother has a 98 GS300 with the Nakamichi sound system, and there are no problems with playing CD-Rs, so I figured it might be because my Pioneer system doesn't support it. If I could get some feedback on this it would be much appreciated.

Lastly, I've been looking to replace my steering wheel. I guess the previous owner decided he didnt want the leather on this steering wheel anymore, so he ripped it all off. Now I'm left with a rubbery wheel with stuff peeling off it. He did, however, give me a brand new wheel that he was too lazy to put on himself. Replacing it seems kind of dangerous to me, with the airbag and all. I am wondering if anyone here has replaced their steering wheel themselves, and if it was hard to do.

Once again, any help is appreciated. I would like to make the best out of my Lexus, and I am looking forward to a good stay here at the Lexus Owners Club Forums. :)

-Mike

Hey, new member here, and also a fairly new Lexus owner. I bought my 98 ES300 about a month and a half ago. I've been loving the car to death, the smooth ride and plush luxury, but as with a lot of 8 year old cars, there are some little problems that I've been looking to get fixed.

welcome to the club.

First off, the backlight on my stock radio has gone out. Ive searched the forum and found some things about replacing the lights on the climate controls, but I havent found anything about the stereo. Is there an easy way I can replace this without having to go to the dealer?

yes it can be done. there are many posts about it, the trick is searching on the right words or phrases.

i will try a few searches and post what i find.

Second, I've been having some problems with the CD changer. I like to make copies of my CDs for the car, so I can keep the originals in my home so they don't get scratched. The problem I've encountered here is that the CD changer doesn't seem to like playing CD-Rs. Sometimes it will take up to 5 minutes to load a CD, and other times it won't play at all. I've gotten the "CD err" message a few times as well. Is this a common problem with this model of the CD changer? My mother has a 98 GS300 with the Nakamichi sound system, and there are no problems with playing CD-Rs, so I figured it might be because my Pioneer system doesn't support it. If I could get some feedback on this it would be much appreciated.

alot depends on the program that copied the CD. I use Roxio and have never had a problem. I read several places that the CD recording process has to be finished properly in order to be played on items other than computers. Some programs terminate the recording process differently. Do the CDs that you burn play on portable CD players or in other cars? The other thing I found with home burned CDs is that stick on labels will interfere with the rotation of the CD in the stack or cartridge. Are you using them?

Lastly, I've been looking to replace my steering wheel. I guess the previous owner decided he didnt want the leather on this steering wheel anymore, so he ripped it all off. Now I'm left with a rubbery wheel with stuff peeling off it. He did, however, give me a brand new wheel that he was too lazy to put on himself. Replacing it seems kind of dangerous to me, with the airbag and all. I am wondering if anyone here has replaced their steering wheel themselves, and if it was hard to do.

There is a company that will replace the leather on your wheel at a reasonable charge. Keep in mind your ride will be sans steering wheel for 1 to 2 weeks. The company is American Stitches.

steviej

Regarding the stereo, I replaced the LCD panel in my 97 and it only took about an hour. It was actually pretty fun to replace it. The part costs $90 from Pioneer.

http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/part.asp?productNum=CWM4319

You might want to check with them to guarantee that it will work in your 98. I believe the stereos changed in 98, but I think the screen should work. Also, there is a post on this forum that has really good instructions attached to it. The link below should bring you to a PDF of the instructions.

http://users.adelphia.net/~talmeida/Lexus/Lexus_2000_ES300_OEM_Radio_Removal.pdf

Also, here is the thread regarding the stereo replacement.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7149&

Regarding using burned CDs, I have never had a problem playing a burned CD, and I've probably used at least 100. I use Imation discs. But like steviej said, it is likely due to the method by which the CDs are being closed. Make sure you are actually closing the disc (there is an option for this). If you burn the disc in iTunes (as I do on my Mac), it takes care of everything for you.

Last thing... my steering wheel was experiencing some cracking, probably from sitting out in the sun (not sure since I bought it used). I just bought a nice-looking wheel cover as I did not want to spend a ton of money getting the steering wheel and paying for the labor of installing a new one. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck and welcome to the club! I'm sure you'll find it to be an invaluable resource.