Few Questions From Newbie

Hi, I am a newcomer to this forum. I bought a used 1996 ES300 from a friend last year and it was really in a fabulous condition. I have been regular in changing oil etc. It has 125K on it now. Over the last two months, I had the following problems, and I am wondering if any of you can help.

1. The CD system (Lexus premium sound system) suddenly gave out and shows up with a 'CD Err' message. I tried using a cleaning CD, but it did not work. Any suggestions.

2. Last week, the stereo antenna, started making a grinding sound and stayed up, despite the engine being switched off. I can hear the motors working, but, the antenna stays up and I can't force it down.

3. With the summer heat here (at least in Texas), I have started noticing an accumulation of water on the garage floor after I park the car. The garage mechanic,I checked with, said that it is condensation from the AC and not to worry. I did not see this happening last year. Any idea what is wrong?

I have a 97 and being that it is a different generation from yours, some things may be different. But I'll do my best.

1) Mine says "Err" when there are no CDs loaded. It may be possible that the mechanism that loads/recognizes the CDs is shot.

2) A couple of my parents' previous cars had power antennas with the same problems. On one, we had to open the antenna housing and apply some grease to lubricate the antenna so it would retract. If you absolutely cannot force it down (if you try this, I would recommend applying downward pressure about 2 inches up from the base as to avoid snapping it), then something may have snapped at the base of the antenna, preventing it from retracting. With ours we were able to at least push the antenna down a bit at a time. Worst case scenario is that you'd have to buy a new one... should be a relatively inexpensive part, especially if you buy it online.

3) I notice a bit of standing water beneath my car as well whenever the AC has been running. I believe it is quite normal. If you didn't notice it last year, something was likely blocking the draining pan and the liquid wasn't draining as it should. This happened on my old car. A leaf was lodged in the drain and the condensed liquid was not draining. Every time I'd turn a corner when the AC was on, I'd hear a sizzling noise and some steam (not smoke) would come out of the vents. Mechanic dislodged the leaf and about a gallon of water drained out. Problem solved. In short, nothing to worry about IMO.

Hope that helps.

Hi, I am a newcomer to this forum. I bought a used 1996 ES300 from a friend last year and it was really in a fabulous condition. I have been regular in changing oil etc. It has 125K on it now. Over the last two months, I had the following problems, and I am wondering if any of you can help.

congrats on the purchase and welcome to the site. Hint for future: use the SEARCH function, you may find alot of answers before we can get to them.

1. The CD system (Lexus premium sound system) suddenly gave out and shows up with a 'CD Err' message. I tried using a cleaning CD, but it did not work. Any suggestions.

Is there a CD jammed in the head unit?

Do you have a remote 6 CD box in the glove compartment or trunk. If so, is the cartridge jammed?

Are all the CDs facing the right way?

Do any CDs play at all?

2. Last week, the stereo antenna, started making a grinding sound and stayed up, despite the engine being switched off. I can hear the motors working, but, the antenna stays up and I can't force it down.

The stalk has most likely lost some teeth. Easy fix, costs about $30. There have been plenty of threads in the ES seciton. Read the pinned FAQ (frequently asked question) thread at the top of the ES forum. Also try searching on "antenna"

3. With the summer heat here (at least in Texas), I have started noticing an accumulation of water on the garage floor after I park the car. The garage mechanic,I checked with, said that it is condensation from the AC and not to worry. I did not see this happening last year. Any idea what is wrong?

Normal, just water/condensation draining. Are you using the AC more oftern this year? Maybe the drain tube was partially clogged last year and now it is not. Either way, I wouldn't worry about it.

steviej