Krazy Knocking Noise In Right Front

hey all.. kind of a noob over here but anyway i was wondering if someone could help me.. i have a 99 lexus ES300 and i have had this problem for a few months and only now it has been getting worse... whenever i tend to hit bad roads or pot holes, i hear this hollow knocking noise coming from the front right side of the car... i took the car to the dealership for diagnostics which i feel was kind of a mistake because they are charging me $4,000 to replace the strut mounts.. im not to sure if that is even the problem because i was reading a few of the posts and it seems like other people have had the same problem but in the rear.. can someone help me please? thank you!

It certainly should cost nowhere NEAR $4,000 unless you are having more done than just the strut mounts.

When I brought my car in (same problem), they said if all four struts AND strut mounts were replaced, it could end up costing $1200. That's for all four struts AND mounts. Being that you have a '99, I would doubt that your actual struts need to be replaced. The strut mount problem (heavily documented on these forums) is a relatively common issue with this generation of the ES (also Camry and others).

Personally, I would not pay even $500 just to fix a noise. The strut mounts don't really have any physical impact on the car, so not fixing them just means that you will have an annoying noise. So long as your struts are okay, you're fine (unless you hate the noise).

I would just fix the strut mounts when the struts need to be replaced, eventually. I would not bring it to the Lexus dealer. You can bring it to the Toyo dealer since the ES is based on the Camry. Or, have your local shop do the repair.

Cool.. ay thanks for the tips.. so im guessing they aint lying to me.. because i have had past experiences with the dealership lying to me.. for example, they told me my throttle body had alot of carbon build up and its gonna cost around 200 to clean, i declined it and i checked it for myself and it was clean.. so i was kind of dissapointed.. but anyway.. thanks for the tip.. im eventually gonna replace the struts and strut mounts only because i cant stand that sound.. thanks!