Info Needed On 03 Lx470

luvmylx

Hello!

Just found this forum last night and can't wait to get started.

We currently have a 99 LX470, almost at 90K miles. We are not the original owners, but have had it for 4 years.

Our '99 had some serious hydraulic/suspension problems fixed under warranty. That was 2 years ago and it's starting again. The parts replaced are no longer warranted. Also, we're nearing the 90k maint. - inlcuding the timing belt - ugh... and are not sure what else we'll be in store for. Also, we'll be needing tires and brakes. Sooooo, if the suspension wasn't acting up, we'd probably feel more confortable putting the money in the car. But we LOVE it, regardless of past problems :), and can't find anything else we'd rather drive.

We're considering a 2003. Does anyone have this year, if so are you happy? We've tried to search old topics to make sure we're not repeating:

1. Any problems with the 2003?

2. Does anyone know what colors it came in (looking at the sand dollar??? it's kind of white - but saw a silver one with tan/ivory inside and wondered what year it was).

3. What version of navigation does the '03 have?

4. Were there any majors changes form '99 to '03?

5. Does night vision really help?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Changes Made To The 2003 LX 470

Standard Features:

- Revised grille and front bumper

- New headlamps

- Revised rear combination lamps

- Dual front, front side and side curtain airbag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS)[1]

- 18-in wheels

- Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS)

- Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD)

- Redesigned combination center meter and center cluster

- Steering-wheel audio controls

- Rain-sensing windshield wipers

- Tow-hitch receiver[2]

Optional Features:

- Lexus Night View[3]

- Lexus DVD Rear-Seat Entertainment System (RSES)

- Lexus Link[4]

l find a model history with changes for each year. The nav system was

Hello!

Just found this forum last night and can't wait to get started.

We currently have a 99 LX470, almost at 90K miles. We are not the original owners, but have had it for 4 years.

Our '99 had some serious hydraulic/suspension problems fixed under warranty. That was 2 years ago and it's starting again. The parts replaced are no longer warranted. Also, we're nearing the 90k maint. - inlcuding the timing belt - ugh... and are not sure what else we'll be in store for. Also, we'll be needing tires and brakes. Sooooo, if the suspension wasn't acting up, we'd probably feel more confortable putting the money in the car. But we LOVE it, regardless of past problems :), and can't find anything else we'd rather drive.

We're considering a 2003. Does anyone have this year, if so are you happy? We've tried to search old topics to make sure we're not repeating:

1. Any problems with the 2003?

2. Does anyone know what colors it came in (looking at the sand dollar??? it's kind of white - but saw a silver one with tan/ivory inside and wondered what year it was).

3. What version of navigation does the '03 have?

4. Were there any majors changes form '99 to '03?

5. Does night vision really help?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

1. I've had my 03 for a few months so far. No issues yet other than the steering wheel was about 5-10 deg off in centering when driving straight. Vehicle tracked straight. Turned out to be the VGRS calibration. Dealer fixed it under warranty (I didn't notice on the test drive since the only street in which I could get up to highway speed was severely canted).

2. I have the sand dollar, wife and I really like the color. It's a tri-coat, so it looks different under different lighting conditions.

3. Gen-3

4. See the other post. Biggest change is the 5spd auto transmission from '03+. Shifter is also gate style, interior dash completely redesigned.

5. Don't have the night vision.

Get the Levinson system. It was like a $4K option. I also got the factory chromed wheels ($1900 option at that time). Overall, my wife and I love it. I particularly like the AHC/adjustable damping. Seems to be very reliable so far (vehicle was local, we live in AZ, so even the undercarriage bolts are still shiny after 3 yrs here). The only problems I've heard of with the Toyota/Lexus AHC in terms of losing damping is from a prev. owner or unknowing mechanic putting the wrong fluid in the AHC resevoir. One needs to use the special toyota AHC fluid. I've heard of even toyota mechanics using brake fluid, one owner used wiper fluid. All these slowly dissolve the membrane in the damping globes (the globes, one at each wheel [behind the running boards] control the damping. There is a membrane inside, with nitrogen on one side, fluid on the other; a valve controls the amount of fluid that can enter). Once the membrane dissolves, the entire globe fills with fluid, so you have no damping. Replacement globes are like $500 ea. The only other problem is the sensors...if you live where there's lots of road salt, they can corrode, so the front or rear level might sag (indicates the sensor is faulty). Apparently, the sensors got less durable from '04 on. Rear backup camera is from '04 on. ALso, from '04+, Toyota went from a type IV to a WS (world standard) ATF. With the former, you need to change it at 30K intervals, but there is a dipstick in the engine compartment to fill it. After switching to WS, you have to fill it from underneath. WS type transmissions can only use the toyota brand ATF. If you have type IV, you can use other brands like Amsoil ATF.

After 3 yrs of research, I got the 03 since it was the last year of type IV ATF w/ the dipstick and the first year of the 5spd tranny. Interior looks a lot more updated over the '98-02 interior. Engine horsepower also changed to 235hp (not much difference, but a new engine chip didn't require 91 octane gas like the earlier LC's/LX's...manual just says 87 or better, but you get more power w/ 91). Also, some time around '04-05, production was changed from Araco industries (a builder of custom coaches that built all the landcruisers for the last 50 yrs) to a toyota factory, if that makes a difference to you.