Maintenance At 125,000 Miles On My 95 Ls400?

Radionicist

I found this forum a couple of weeks ago and have learned more about my 95 LS400 than I ever thought I'd know. Thanks to all of you!

I bought my 95 LS400 about three years ago and it recently hit 125,000 on the odometer. The only major component that needed replaced was the starter, and I had a new one installed in 2003. I've talked with my expert local mechanic about replacing the timing belt this summer.

What else should I have replaced or checked when the car goes in for it's timing belt change? I hope to reach 200,000 miles on this car, so I don't mind spending a bit of cash now to see that happen.

Thanks!

Tony

Tony:

I've talked with my expert local mechanic about replacing the timing belt this summer.

What else should I have replaced or checked when the car goes in for it's timing belt change? I hope to reach 200,000 miles on this car, so I don't mind spending a bit of cash now to see that happen.

Do the timing belt at 90K religously, along with the idlers & tensioner (tensioner, if necessary), water pump, serpentine belt, plugs wires, caps/rotors. Don't slack on the timing belt, it will hurt you if you do. Don't treat this car like it was/is a Dodge Dart & it won't treat you that way either.

Change all fluids religously & this car will treat you very well.

200K?.........................yeesh! How about 300 to 400K (or more) if you treat it right.

You want to get the water pump changed along with the timing belt. This is the major service at 90k. My guy changes the tensioners, pulleys, thermostat, cam seals.....just about everything since he's already "in there". Better now than later. Might as well get all of your fluids changed as well. You're looking at anywhere from $1500-2000. Some say that's a lot but, in my estimation, you only pay that every 4-5 years. Good luck!