Brake Problems

I need help trying to figure out what the problem is (with my brakes).

A few days ago, I had exchanged my winter tires for my summer tires, and immideately, I started experiencing a problem on the right rear brake. The problem occurs under braking. Whenever I break, you can hear some kind of grinding noise. The slower the car goes, the bigger the gap between the grinding noises. That leads me to believe that it only happens on a specific part of the wheel/rotor/whatever...

I've had the same problem last fall when I had the same tires on. Then, after putting on my winter tires, the problem was no longer there. At first I thought it had something to do with the tires, but now I'm not so sure. I know how stupid this will sound, but I almost believe that it has something to do with the temperature. Why? Because, I started paying a close attention to the grinding noise whenever I'm leave my apt. building and whenever I return (I have the underground garage and the echo produced helped me to isolate the problem to the right rear tire), and I noticed that when the rotors/brakes are cool, noting happens - no grinding noise. Then, on the way in, you can clearly hear it.

I did look close at the brakes, rotors, etc., but I can't see the problem. Brakes and rotors look fine, and except some rust on the rotors and the calipers, everything looks really good. The last time I serviced my rear brakes was in spring '05, and I had them (Lexus) replace brake pads and service the rotors.

Does anybody have any clue as to what is causing this noise?

Thanks

P.S. Sorry for going into details, I just figured that it might help somebody figure out the root of the problem.

Dumb question,

do you have these new tires on separte rims (i am from california and don't have winter tires!!) but i was thinking the rim itself could be the problem and it might grind against the caliper or something.

MAYBE the problem is there. :whistles:

I need help trying to figure out what the problem is (with my brakes).

A few days ago, I had exchanged my winter tires for my summer tires, and immideately, I started experiencing a problem on the right rear brake. The problem occurs under braking. Whenever I break, you can hear some kind of grinding noise. The slower the car goes, the bigger the gap between the grinding noises. That leads me to believe that it only happens on a specific part of the wheel/rotor/whatever...

I've had the same problem last fall when I had the same tires on. Then, after putting on my winter tires, the problem was no longer there. At first I thought it had something to do with the tires, but now I'm not so sure. I know how stupid this will sound, but I almost believe that it has something to do with the temperature. Why? Because, I started paying a close attention to the grinding noise whenever I'm leave my apt. building and whenever I return (I have the underground garage and the echo produced helped me to isolate the problem to the right rear tire), and I noticed that when the rotors/brakes are cool, noting happens - no grinding noise. Then, on the way in, you can clearly hear it.

I did look close at the brakes, rotors, etc., but I can't see the problem. Brakes and rotors look fine, and except some rust on the rotors and the calipers, everything looks really good. The last time I serviced my rear brakes was in spring '05, and I had them (Lexus) replace brake pads and service the rotors.

Does anybody have any clue as to what is causing this noise?

Thanks

P.S. Sorry for going into details, I just figured that it might help somebody figure out the root of the problem.

Dumb question,

do you have these new tires on separte rims (i am from california and don't have winter tires!!) but i was thinking the rim itself could be the problem and it might grind against the caliper or something.

MAYBE the problem is there.:whistles:

Well, that is exactly what I was thinking. The grinding noise appears only with the summer tires...and, yes, they are on separate rims. But what bothers me about that theory is that those are my Lexus rims (OEM), and I've never had problems with them up until last fall.

But now that you'd confirmed what I thought might be the problem, I'll look into it more careful.

Thank you.