1997 Ls400 Coach Edition Tranny Problem

CJAsis

Hi everyone.

Recently, my wife and I purchased a 1997 LS400 Coach Edition from my parents. They've owned the car since new and only got rid of it when they purchased a new 2006 LS.

All maintenance has been done on time and at Lexus dealers (primarily Stevens Creek Lexus in San Jose, CA). The vehicle has roughly 128,000 miles on the clock and runs quite well.

Before purchasing the car, we had Tustin Lexus peform the same level of inspection on the car that they would to certify the car as pre-owned. $200 later and the only things that came up were:

1) worn motor mounts

2) worn tranny mount and

3) questionable wiper blades.

We had the motor and tranny mounts replaced and I did the wiper blades.

My problem is that now that the mounts have been replaced, the car behaves strangely when it is shifted from P or Neutral into gear. Essentially, the car rocks back and forth as if it was being slammed into gear. The issue is much worse when the motor is cold as the rev's are higher while the motor is warming up but it's still noticable when the engine is warm.

Shifts while the car is driving are still buttery smooth.

As you'd expect, we took the car back to the dealer and they say this is perfectly normal for an LS of this generation. We countered that he car never did that before and they said it would have when it was new but that since the mounts were collapsing it was masking that and Lexus designed the mounts to cushion any vibrations (that makes sense) and the downside of soft mounts is this weight shift (doesn't make sense).

Neither our old RX, our old IS, our current LX or any of my parents other LS cars have done this. And something doesn't seem right to me but I have no way of calling BS on the dealer.

Any input/thought from you guys would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks.

I find it odd that this would start after they changed the mounts. You didn't notice it before you bought the car? You are by no means alone with this issue which seems to target mostly the 95-97 cars. Come commiserate with us here: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...wtopic=9048&hl=

It's my personal belief that it's some mechanical (although their are different schools of thought.) issue with the tranny, torque converter, or differential causing this problem. Just the other day, I saw that the tc is listed as a possible cause in the repair manual for this. <_< One day somebody will figure this out and be heralded a saint.

I find it odd that this would start after they changed the mounts. You didn't notice it before you bought the car? You are by no means alone with this issue which seems to target mostly the 95-97 cars.

No this problem did not occur prior to changing the mounts. My were the original owners since new and I've driven the car numerous times over the last 9 years. Never had this issue. To make certain that I wasn't losing my mind I have my Mom drive the car too and she was flabergasted. This problem did not occur prior to changing the motor mounts.

Frankly there's no way Lexus would have marketed a $56K car (I have the original window sticker) that behaved like this.

I'm going to try another dealer after tax season is past me.

Will do. I'm perversly relieved to see that I'm not the only one.