Service Help

Sweet95LS400

I've driven two Toyota timing belt engines to 234,000 and 250,000 miles, respectively, without any problems from the seals, pulley and tensioner. I believe these parts are durable enough to need replacing only every SECOND timing belt change. The failures you occassionally read about on this forum are likely due to a leadfoot driving which puts a heavy mechanical strain on the timing belt and it's components.

I've driven two Toyota timing belt engines to 234,000 and 250,000 miles, respectively, without any problems from the seals, pulley and tensioner. I believe these parts are durable enough to need replacing only every SECOND timing belt change. The failures you occassionally read about on this forum are likely due to a leadfoot driving which puts a heavy mechanical strain on the timing belt and it's components.

Has he owned his 95 since new? Can he be sure it was never driven in a "leadfoot" manner? No, which means your advice is useless.

Call them and see what the service manager says about the seals. If they won't go back in and replace them then ask if they will waive their labor when the seals do fail since they elected not to follow your wishes and piggyback the labor costs on this maintenance.